Top 10 Norwich City ‘firsts’ ahead of an historic trip to Burton Albion
07:26 17 February 2017
It’s another first for Norwich City this weekend when they head to Burton Albion’s Pirelli Stadium for the first time in the club’s history.
1. So what other firsts, do City have on their CV? Let’s start with one of the club’s greatest claims to fame – it came on October 19, 1993, when City became the first English team to triumph at Bayern Munich’s Olympic Stadium, winning 2-1 in the first leg of their Uefa Cup second round tie.
2. Still on a highly positive note, let’s go for a team with a loose connection to Bayern given their thumping there this week and that’s Arsenal. City went to the Gunners’ old ground at Highbury on the opening day of the inaugural Premier League campaign, in 1992, and won 4-2. Two down at half-time, goals from Mark Robins (two), David Phillips and Ruel Fox gave them a famous win.
3. Still in Europe – City’s first scorer in European competition was Efan Ekoku, who scored in the 3-0 win over Vitesse Arnhem in September, 1993.
4. Not everything has been ‘good’ – on January 26, 2013 City became the first Premier League side to be beaten by a non-league team in the FA Cup, going down 1-0 at home to Luton Town.
5. Let’s get positive again – how’s this for a first game? December 2003. Leon McKenzie. Debut at Portman Road. Two goals, City win 2-0 and are promoted to the top flight. Enough said.
6. You know that new-fangled screen in the corner of Carrow Road, next to the Barclay? That is extra special because it is the first rotating screen in world football. Backwater? Not on your nelly.
7. In October, 1938, King George VI visited Carrow Road – it was the first occasion that a reigning monarch had attended a second tier football match. A man of the people, for sure...
8. City were £5m better off when Chris Sutton became the most expensive player in English football in July 1994, when he joined Blackburn.
9. Back to a negative: Chris Hughton’s first game as Norwich City boss was on August 18, 2012 – they were beaten 5-0 at Fulham.
10. Best not forget what happened for the first time in September last year. City beat this weekend’s hosts Burton 3-1 at Carrow Road in the first ever meeting between the teams.