Author's first book
At 62 most grandfathers take up painting or gardening as a hobby. Not for former caterer and builder Colin Oakes from Scarning. Mr Oakes decided to take up a passion he has had since he was a youngster and take up writing about fantastic other worlds.
At 62 most grandfathers take up painting or gardening as a hobby. Not for former caterer and builder Colin Oakes from Scarning.
Mr Oakes decided to take up a passion he has had since he was a youngster and take up writing about fantastic other worlds.
And now he has had his first book published.
Norfolk born and bred, Mr Oakes has had the first of a trilogy he is planning published called The Ultimate Warrior.
You may also want to watch:
It is about the story from birth of Calvin Brant and his three friends, John, Pete and Greg.
Their adventure takes them from back in time to a parallel world of souls and the battles they encounter to free this world from the dark side.
- 1 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 2 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 3 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 6 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 7 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
- 8 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 9 Two new dates announced after Flying Scotsman's Norfolk visit sells out
- 10 Care home reaches final of disability and autism awards
In this world, Mr Oakes is still working as a self employed gardener and odd job man from his home in Scarning.
“It is something I have always wanted to do. I used to make up stories for my daughter and I wish I had written them down or recorded them.
“I've always had a passion for writing and I got good marks for my essays at school. Now I'm really pleased with the book and I have already started writing the second book of the trilogy. I have just three more chapters to write.”
He trained as a chef after leaving school and worked for seven years as a builder. He has also worked as a butcher.
Authors he likes are Stephen King and Tolkein. To buy the book go to ww.authorhouse.co.uk/bookstore.
It is a self publishing website which means budding authors like Mr Oakes can have their books published.
It is also due to be available in bookshops.