Author's first book
At 62 most grandfathers take up painting or gardening as a hobby. Not for former caterer and builder Colin Oakes from Scarning. Mr Oakes decided to take up a passion he has had since he was a youngster and take up writing about fantastic other worlds.
At 62 most grandfathers take up painting or gardening as a hobby. Not for former caterer and builder Colin Oakes from Scarning.
Mr Oakes decided to take up a passion he has had since he was a youngster and take up writing about fantastic other worlds.
And now he has had his first book published.
Norfolk born and bred, Mr Oakes has had the first of a trilogy he is planning published called The Ultimate Warrior.
It is about the story from birth of Calvin Brant and his three friends, John, Pete and Greg.
Their adventure takes them from back in time to a parallel world of souls and the battles they encounter to free this world from the dark side.
- 1 Waffle and milkshake delivery business opens in Dereham
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving car and tractor
- 4 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 5 Boris Johnson expected to announce easing of Covid-19 Plan B restrictions
- 6 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder had a 'short temper'
- 9 Royal British Legion branch to celebrate 100th anniversary
- 10 Railway launches appeal to restore signal box
In this world, Mr Oakes is still working as a self employed gardener and odd job man from his home in Scarning.
“It is something I have always wanted to do. I used to make up stories for my daughter and I wish I had written them down or recorded them.
“I've always had a passion for writing and I got good marks for my essays at school. Now I'm really pleased with the book and I have already started writing the second book of the trilogy. I have just three more chapters to write.”
He trained as a chef after leaving school and worked for seven years as a builder. He has also worked as a butcher.
Authors he likes are Stephen King and Tolkein. To buy the book go to ww.authorhouse.co.uk/bookstore.
It is a self publishing website which means budding authors like Mr Oakes can have their books published.
It is also due to be available in bookshops.