Beetley girl to sing in top youth choir
A 16-year-old from Beetley has been chosen to sing in the National Youth Choir.Katie Hewson, from Elmham Road, has been singing since she was seven and after performing regularly with the Cathedral Choir and the choir at Norwich High School for Girls, she decided to audition for the national group.
A 16-year-old from Beetley has been chosen to sing in the National Youth Choir.
Katie Hewson, from Elmham Road, has been singing since she was seven and, after performing regularly with the Cathedral Choir and the choir at Norwich High School for Girls, decided to audition for the national group.
The flute and piano player, who is studying for her AS levels, said the prospect of becoming a chorister for the world-famous group is a dream come true.
She said: "I really like performing and when I sing there are nerves but it's a rush of emotion - music makes the hairs on my neck stand on end and it just feels right, which may sound like a strange thing
You may also want to watch:
"I like all types of music but I think choral music brings out the best in my voice."
- 1 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 2 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 3 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 4 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 5 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 6 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 7 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 8 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 9 Stunning new show at Houghton Hall set to immerse you into a meditative state
- 10 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
Her parents, Kathy, 51, and David, 52, a financial advisor, said they are pleased for Katie as she has always been a keen singer.
Hilary Weiland, director of music at the Newmarket Road school, added: "Katie has always had an excellent vocal instrument and most recently has sung the solo for The Lord is my Shepherd by Howard Goodall with the school choir.
"She is now really developing her choral skills and is displaying great leadership for our forthcoming choral concert."
Miss Hewson will perform at Easter with the choir, which has members up to the age of 22, and will be required to audition every year to keep her place.