Breckland residents urged to recycle responsibly


PHOTO: ANTONY KELLY - Credit: Archant

Breckland residents are being asked by the council to make sure they use the correct bins when recycling over the Christmas period.

Breckland Council said people should make the most of their recycling bins by collecting festive recyclables, including wrapping paper, greetings cards, and clean food cartons.

However, things like cards or paper covered in glitter cannot be recycled.

Councillor Paul Claussen said: 'Over Christmas and New Year households will most likely have more cardboard packaging, wrapping paper, glass, and food tins than usual, so it is important that as much of the recyclable material as possible is collected.

'Not everything can be recycled in the kerbside bins though, so things like sticky tape and bows, plastic bags, food waste and old toys should go in the general waste bin instead, if they can't be reused – or in the case of unwanted but usable toys, donated to charity.'

Things that can go in your recycle bin

Most Read

• Wrapping paper (minus sticky tape), shredded paper (loose), greetings cards (all of this should be glitter-free)

• Envelopes (not ones with bubble wrap padding)

• Cardboard packaging

• Clean glass bottles and jars

• Clean food tins and drink cans

• Clean food and drink cartons (including Tetra Paks cartons for juices and milk)

• Clean aluminium foil wrap and foil trays

Other recyclables not for your recycling bin

• Food waste (peelings/raw veg can be composted at home)

• Old toys (can go to a charity shop if in good condition)

• Old electricals (can go to a local Recycling Centre)

• Clothing (can go to a clothing recycle bank or donated to charity)

• Energy saving lightbulbs and fluorescent tubes (can go to a local Recycling Centre)

Things for the rubbish bin

• Plastic bags and all bagged waste

• Dirty kitchen foil

• Dirty jars, tubs, paper plates

• Sticky tape, ribbons and bows

• Crisp packets and sweet wrappers

• Wine glasses/tumblers

• Light bulbs (not energy saving bulbs or fluorescent tubes)