Burglar jailed after being caught red handed
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk detective has today welcomed the jail sentence handed to a burglar who was caught red handed with stolen goods in a rucksack.
Neil Barrett, 46, of Hillcrest Avenue, Dereham was sentenced to two years and three months in jail, at Norwich Crown Court, after pleading guilty to burglary.
Police were called shortly before midnight on Thursday, January 14 to reports of a loud bang and a man, who wearing a rucksack, acting suspiciously and hiding by a property in Hyde Road in Dereham.
Officers attended and found Barrett in possession of tools, including a wooden hammer and a screwdriver; four mobile phones and two shooting medals he'd stolen from an address in Hyde Road.
He was arrested on suspicion of burglary and taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre for questioning where he was subsequently charged.
You may also want to watch:
Investigating officer, detective constable James Morgan from Thetford CID, welcomed the sentence.
He said: 'To have your home entered, searched through and possessions stolen by an unwelcome visitor can be very distressing.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 5 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 6 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 7 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 8 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 9 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 10 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
'We hope such a case sends a strong message out to such offenders that this is a serious matter and the courts will not tolerate such despicable behaviour.
'Hopefully the victim will get some satisfaction knowing a lengthy custodial sentence has been passed.'