Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- Credit: Emili Spanton
A Dereham woman was left stunned as her barbershop was named as one of the best in the UK.
Emili's Barbers, based in Norwich Street, Dereham, came 20th in the Barber Shop of the Year category at the UK Hair And Beauty Awards for 2022.
Things got even better as Ms Spanton placed 45th in the Barber of the Year classification.
Convinced she wouldn't stand a chance of gaining any recognition, the 24-year-old didn't even bother watching the awards ceremony - and only discovered her success when a fellow barber congratulated her.
Ms Spanton, who took over the shop in January 2021 but couldn't welcome customers for four months, said opening during the pandemic had made her triumph even sweeter.
"When I signed the lease a month before, we were not due to go into another lockdown," she added.
"But because I then wasn't allowed to open, I used the time wisely and gave the shop a massive makeover.
- 1 Cost of living - 'Rising energy bills mean we've had to shut'
- 2 Norfolk woman dies after being stung by wasp in Spain
- 3 Dereham school recognised for commitment to equality and diversity
- 4 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 5 Crash on A47 causes delays and bus disruption
- 6 Extra speed check camera vans to target Norfolk's 'village speeders'
- 7 Dereham Day: Cinema to screen short film on 1930s life
- 8 Frustration grows over children's play area locked up for almost a year
- 9 Village pub to finally reopen after being shut for four years
- 10 What's going to be happening on Dereham Day?
"There have been plenty of hurdles along the way, but this makes it all worth it."