Calls for more gritting on Dereham roads
Emma Knights A Dereham town councillor is calling for more gritting on the town's roads during icy weather conditions.Robin Goreham has asked for the issue to be discussed at Dereham Town Council's meeting tomorrow night.
A Dereham town councillor is calling for more gritting on the town's roads during icy weather conditions.
Robin Goreham said he was prompted to do something after seeing the state of Dereham's Market Place during the snow on November 22.
“I know the weather was bad that day but there were advance weather warnings. At about 5pm the Market Place was at a complete standstill. It was seriously bad,” said Mr Goreham, who has e-mailed the Norfolk County Council's highways department about the matter.
“I saw a bus slide across the carriageway. I don't think I have ever seen the Market Place that bad.”
He said he understood that the highways department had a difficult job gritting the county's roads but said it was important that what happened in Dereham on November 22 was not repeated throughout the winter.
- 1 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 2 Former military man elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 3 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 4 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 5 Dereham boss ignoring favourites tag ahead of cup final
- 6 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Tory candidate's hustings dodge defended after 'disrespectful' claim
- 9 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 10 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
He emphasised that it was especially important that Dereham's Market Place and the other main roads were properly gritted during bad winter weather.
A spokesperson for the county council said on Saturday, November 22 the roads around the Market Place area of Dereham were gritted at about 2am, 3pm and 6pm. The following day they were gritted at 2am, 7am, 11am and 6pm.