Can you help needy children?
IT'S a small and simple gift - but will make a huge difference to needy children hundreds of miles away.People in Dereham are being encouraged to take part in a nationwide appeal to fill shoe boxes which will be sent to youngsters in Serbia for Christmas.
IT'S a small and simple gift - but will make a huge difference to needy children hundreds of miles away.
People in Dereham are being encouraged to take part in a nationwide appeal to fill shoe boxes which will be sent to youngsters in Serbia for Christmas.
Operation Christmas Child is run by the charity Samaritan's Purse.
All the town's churches are acting as collection points for shoe boxes and will have leaflets explaining what can be put in them.
You may also want to watch:
People can choose to send a box to boys or girls and in various age groups.
Hundreds were collected in the local area last year and were among 1.24m sent abroad from around Britain. This year it is hoped even more will be sent from Dereham.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 Fears raised over Western Link surveying work
- 5 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 6 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 7 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 8 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
Dereham Baptist Church minister the Rev Chris Densham said: “Our challenge to Dereham is to get involved. We are encouraging people to think beyond themselves this Christmas. It is a very small thing but makes a huge difference. It is the power of
a simple gift.”
The boxes will go to a distribution centre in Norwich and be given out around Christmas.
This year they will be sent to Novi Sad, Serbia's second largest city and Norwich's twin town.
Mr Densham said: “They go to children who would not normally have anything. It makes a huge difference to a child who has never had anything like it. It is a really simple way of making a difference.”
The closing date for boxes to be filled and handed in is the end of October.
Each church is acting as a collection point.People need to include £2.50 towards transport costs.
Website - www.operation
christmaschild.org.uk. Tel: 0870 011 2002.