Charity shop needs more volunteers
More volunteers are needed to ensure a Dereham charity can stay open all week.The Oxfam shop is staffed by a team of 12 volunteers but as two staff are always needed, there are times when there are not enough people available.
More volunteers are needed to ensure a Dereham charity can stay open all week.
The Oxfam shop is staffed by a team of 12 volunteers but as two staff are always needed, there are times when there are not enough people available.
Oxfam has been in Dereham for more than 25 years and has been in three different shops in Norwich Street.
In August last year it was converted to be a specialist shop for books, music and film.
The sell vinyl, DVDs and video and books from fiction to natural history.
There are about 5000 books on the shelves and the shop also takes requests and will contact people if the books come in.
- 1 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 2 Former military man elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 3 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 4 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 5 Dereham boss ignoring favourites tag ahead of cup final
- 6 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Tory candidate's hustings dodge defended after 'disrespectful' claim
- 9 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 10 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
As well as getting donations from people who drop items off, the shop gets regular deliveries from the collections which are made at the book banks at the Cowper Road car park and Morrisons in Dereham and also Waitrose in Swaffham.
Volunteers can also make arrangements to pick up.
The shop is also selling Christmas cards and wrapping paper as well as calendars and diaries.
Acting manager Simon Lathwell said: “We could not open on Friday morning as we did not have any volunteers available.”
Researcher Andy Thompson said: “If someone can come forward to offer a morning that would really help.”
Oxfam will have a stall at the Dereham Christmas lights switch-on event in the Market Place on Sunday November 30.
The shop's opening hours are Monday-Saturday, 9.30am-4.30pm.
The shop number is 01362 697148.