Charity walk in memory of Marine Ben
Richard ParrA sponsored memorial walk is being held in honour of Norfolk royal marine Ben Whatley who was killed in Afghanistan on Christmas Eve.Lance Corporal Whatley's former school, Glebe House School, Hunstanton, is organising the event to echo a walk in 2001 which reportedly inspired him to join the marines.Richard Parr
A sponsored memorial walk is being held in honour of Norfolk royal marine Ben Whatley who was killed in Afghanistan on Christmas Eve.
Lance Corporal Whatley's former school, Glebe House School, Hunstanton, is organising the event to echo a walk in 2001 which reportedly inspired him to join the marines.
Ben, whose family home was at Tittleshall, near Fakenham, was inspired to join up after completing a 25-mile leavers' walk, aged 12, alongside former marine Rick Falon, in his last term at Glebe, before joining Litcham High School.
Major Rich Cantrill, the officer commanding Lima Company said : 'He was a tough, uncompromising commando. Tall, with a booming, baritone voice, Ben Whatley had in abundance that magic ingredient of 'presence''.
The walk, on April 18, will raise money for the Help for Heroes charity for wounded members of the armed forces. As well as the 25 mile walk, there will also be a five-mile family stroll along the final part of the route for those who do not feel able to cover the whole distance.
More information about the walk is available by contacting the Glebe House School on 01485 532809 or visit the website www.glebehouseschool.co.uk
- 1 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 'You've got to diversify' - cafe and gallery owner braves expansion
- 3 A trip to the fair helps Norfolk man remember
- 4 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 9 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
- 10 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon