Cheers to new cops in pubs idea
Ian ClarkeA new initiative by police to go down the local to meet the locals has got off to a successful start.The rural charm offensive aims to show villagers that officers are taking issues in the countryside seriously and they want to hear their views.Ian Clarke
An initiative by police to go down the local to meet the locals has got off to a successful start.
The rural charm offensive aims to show villagers that officers are taking issues in the countryside seriously and they want to hear their views.
Sgt Mark Goodbody, of the Dereham Safer Neighbourhood Team, had the idea to go to local pubs and he was joined on Saturday at the Gressenhall Swan by PC Matthew Paine and PCSO Paul Frostwick.
Speeding in the village emerged as the main problem for local people, and PCSO Frostwick said the meet- and-greet session had been a useful exercise.
You may also want to watch:
'It was a good experience. It is nice to get out there in the parishes, and the pub is the ideal place to talk to people.'
PCSO Frostwick added: 'We had a general chit-chat, which is one of the aims of the initiative and gives people the chance to come in and put a name to a face.'
- 1 Step in the right direction for neglected footpath
- 2 Sir David Attenborough praises Dereham school’s eco achievements
- 3 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 4 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 5 Armed forces to be honoured in council ceremony
- 6 Norfolk council agrees to go smoke free at headquarters
- 7 Part of A47 closed after concerns for woman’s welfare
- 8 Your Say: Will Dereham locals go on holiday abroad this summer?
- 9 Hot property - Homes selling just days after being on market
- 10 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
He said the concerns about speeding would be passed on to traffic officers.
The next sessions where people can meet police officers in pubs are at: Mattishall Swan (Thursday, February 11, 1-3pm), Lyng Fox and Hounds (Friday, February 12, 1-3pm), Swanton Morley Angel (Saturday, February 20, 1-3pm) and North Elmham Railway (Thursday, February 25, 7-8.30pm).
To contact Dereham SNT, call 0845 456 4567 or email email@example.com