Competition to find a Christmas star
Emma KnightsThe search is on to find a little star of Dereham to light up the town this Christmas.The Times wants to hear about Dereham youngsters with an inspirational tale to tell for its festive competition offering one lucky winner the chance to turn on Dereham's Christmas lights at the big switch-on event on Sunday, November 29, when thousands of people will pack into the Market Place.Emma Knights
The search is on to find a little star of Dereham to light up the town this Christmas.
The Times wants to hear about Dereham youngsters with an inspirational tale to tell for its festive competition offering one lucky winner the chance to turn on Dereham's Christmas lights at the big switch-on event on Sunday, November 29, when thousands of people will pack into the Market Place. The winner will also receive a �50 voucher to spend on toys from Starlings Toymaster and a goody bag from the store.
Our festive competition is open to young people aged 16 and under who can either enter themselves or be nominated by others.
We would like to hear about youngsters who are a true inspiration to others. It may be that they have shown great courage in battling an illness, performed a heroic act to help others, spent their time volunteering to help make Dereham a great place to live, or have achieved great things in or out of school.
You may also want to watch:
The ultimate winner will have a starring role in the town's festive celebrations which attracts about 4,000 people a year - they will be responsible for flicking the switch that will make the town twinkle in lights this Christmas.
The switch-on is part of a day of festive fun being co-ordinated by the Dereham Area Partnership, Dereham Town Council and Dereham Chamber of Trade and Commerce.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Care home launches project to make residents dreams come true
- 3 'Bonkers' - MP objects to 50-home development in village
- 4 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 5 Resident’s fears over more housing as sewerage system buckles
- 6 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 7 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 8 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 9 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 'Don't give up' - Veteran on how photography sparked PTSD fightback
The crowning glory will be a 12 metre ice rink in front of the town's cinema, with the rest of the Market Place filled with Santa's grotto, fairground rides, live music and entertainment. There will also be Christmas and charity stalls in the Market Place and a craft fair in the Assembly Rooms.
Town mayor Ann Bowyer said she hoped people of all ages would enjoy the event and that she was looking forward to getting her skates on and trying out the ice rink.
t The closing date for the Christmas lights switch-on competition is Thursday, November 12.
Entries must include the young person's name, age, address, contact number and reason for nomination. Send entries to Switch-on Competition, Dereham Times, Bond House, High Street, Dereham, NR19 1DZ or e-mail emma.knights @archant.co.uk Normal Archant rules apply.