Competition to find a Christmas star
Emma KnightsThe search is on to find a little star of Dereham to light up the town this Christmas.The Times wants to hear about Dereham youngsters with an inspirational tale to tell for its festive competition offering one lucky winner the chance to turn on Dereham's Christmas lights at the big switch-on event on Sunday, November 29, when thousands of people will pack into the Market Place.Emma Knights
The search is on to find a little star of Dereham to light up the town this Christmas.
The Times wants to hear about Dereham youngsters with an inspirational tale to tell for its festive competition offering one lucky winner the chance to turn on Dereham's Christmas lights at the big switch-on event on Sunday, November 29, when thousands of people will pack into the Market Place. The winner will also receive a �50 voucher to spend on toys from Starlings Toymaster and a goody bag from the store.
Our festive competition is open to young people aged 16 and under who can either enter themselves or be nominated by others.
We would like to hear about youngsters who are a true inspiration to others. It may be that they have shown great courage in battling an illness, performed a heroic act to help others, spent their time volunteering to help make Dereham a great place to live, or have achieved great things in or out of school.
The ultimate winner will have a starring role in the town's festive celebrations which attracts about 4,000 people a year - they will be responsible for flicking the switch that will make the town twinkle in lights this Christmas.
The switch-on is part of a day of festive fun being co-ordinated by the Dereham Area Partnership, Dereham Town Council and Dereham Chamber of Trade and Commerce.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 3 Village pub to finally reopen after being shut for four years
- 4 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 5 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 6 Norfolk war hero saluted at poignant service
- 7 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 8 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
The crowning glory will be a 12 metre ice rink in front of the town's cinema, with the rest of the Market Place filled with Santa's grotto, fairground rides, live music and entertainment. There will also be Christmas and charity stalls in the Market Place and a craft fair in the Assembly Rooms.
Town mayor Ann Bowyer said she hoped people of all ages would enjoy the event and that she was looking forward to getting her skates on and trying out the ice rink.
t The closing date for the Christmas lights switch-on competition is Thursday, November 12.
Entries must include the young person's name, age, address, contact number and reason for nomination. Send entries to Switch-on Competition, Dereham Times, Bond House, High Street, Dereham, NR19 1DZ or e-mail emma.knights @archant.co.uk Normal Archant rules apply.