Council tributes to Royal Marine
A council chairman led fellow councillors in a warm tribute to a Royal Marine who was killed in Afghanistan.L/Cpl Ben Whatley, 20, died on Christmas Eve as he led his men against Taliban insurgents.
A council chairman led councillors in a warm tribute to a Royal Marine who was killed in Afghanistan.
L/Cpl Ben Whatley, 20, died on Christmas Eve as he led his men against Taliban insurgents.
His family home is at Tittleshall and the village is part of the ward covered by John Labouchere, chairman of Breckland Council.
At the start of Thursday's full council meeting, Mr Labouchere - whose son and son-in-law are both servicemen - asked councillors and officers to stand in silence to remember L/Cpl Whatley.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Labouchere said: "We all read about it every other week that more men are lost in combat. It seriously brings it home to you when it is in your own village."
He also wrote to L/Cpl Whatley's family on behalf of the council to pass on condolences.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 4 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 5 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 6 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 7 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 8 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 9 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 10 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences