Youths scale roof in Norfolk town centre
- Credit: Google
Youths have been caught climbing atop the roofs of a Norfolk town centre in recent months, police officers have said.
At a Wednesday meeting of Dereham’s Safer Neighbourhood Action Panel, PC Jon Downs said: “We’ve had problems reported to us in relation to people on the roofs outside the old Chambers building.”
The Market Place building was last occupied by the now-closed Prezzo restaurant.
Mr Downs said the juveniles had been dealt with “on a low level” and that a crime reduction survey had been carried out on the property, resulting in cameras being installed.
As well as minor criminal damage, Mr Downs said: “It was more the fact that I was concerned someone was going to fall off of that roof.
“One of the lads, we try to work alongside him in relation to his future aspirations to be a scaffolder. Bizarrely enough, he has a very good head for heights.
“We’re trying to almost work with them to eradicate that problem.”
Mr Downs said the issue had not reoccurred for “quite some time”.
- 1 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 2 Gym set to host fundraiser for brave youngster Logan
- 3 Delays on the A47 after crash
- 4 Delays on A47 after crash involving lorry
- 5 Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman returns to government
- 6 Hairdresser in contention for prestigious industry award
- 7 Battle of Britain service taking place in Dereham
- 8 The ones to watch at this year's Norfolk Open Studios
- 9 Family tribute to 'much loved' Norfolk woman killed in A47 crash
- 10 '1,500 calls in a weekend' - Taxi firms' struggles with driver shortages