Cyclist seriously ill after Burnham Overy crash
Kathryn CrossA cyclist is seriously ill in hospital after she was involved in a head-on crash with a car last night at Burnham Overy.The woman, believed to be in her 50s, suffered major head and chest injuries that were so severe that a doctor and paramedic had to anaesthetize and operate on her at the scene.Kathryn Cross
A cyclist is seriously ill in hospital after she was involved in a head-on crash with a car last night at Burnham Overy.
The woman, believed to be in her 50s, suffered major head and chest injuries that were so severe that a doctor and paramedic had to anaesthetize and operate on her at the scene.
The accident happened on the B1155 at 5.15pm and a medical team from the Magpas emergency medical charity was sent by police helicopter as well as a land ambulance and rapid response team.
Dr Lorraine Greasley, who flew from the Magpas base at RAF Wyton in Huntingdon, said: 'Flying on the police helicopter enabled us to get to the scene very quickly. With an incident like this it is essential our charity's team is on hand to make sure the patient receives the right treatment at the scene and is then transferred to the right hospital for the type of injuries sustained. All the emergency services worked really well together at the scene.'
You may also want to watch:
The woman was then taken by the police helicopter, escorted by the Magpas team, to Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge where she remains in a serious condition.
A spokesman for the East of England ambulance service said the woman was unconscious but breathing when the medical teams arrived. The driver of the car was not thought to be injured.
- 1 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 2 Children's home plans includes emergency housing in converted barn
- 3 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 4 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 5 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 7 Heat map images reveal Norfolk's most popular running routes
- 8 Council increases street cleaning after duck poo complaints
- 9 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 10 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch