Cyclist seriously ill after Burnham Overy crash
Kathryn CrossA cyclist is seriously ill in hospital after she was involved in a head-on crash with a car last night at Burnham Overy.The woman, believed to be in her 50s, suffered major head and chest injuries that were so severe that a doctor and paramedic had to anaesthetize and operate on her at the scene.Kathryn Cross
A cyclist is seriously ill in hospital after she was involved in a head-on crash with a car last night at Burnham Overy.
The woman, believed to be in her 50s, suffered major head and chest injuries that were so severe that a doctor and paramedic had to anaesthetize and operate on her at the scene.
The accident happened on the B1155 at 5.15pm and a medical team from the Magpas emergency medical charity was sent by police helicopter as well as a land ambulance and rapid response team.
Dr Lorraine Greasley, who flew from the Magpas base at RAF Wyton in Huntingdon, said: 'Flying on the police helicopter enabled us to get to the scene very quickly. With an incident like this it is essential our charity's team is on hand to make sure the patient receives the right treatment at the scene and is then transferred to the right hospital for the type of injuries sustained. All the emergency services worked really well together at the scene.'
You may also want to watch:
The woman was then taken by the police helicopter, escorted by the Magpas team, to Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge where she remains in a serious condition.
A spokesman for the East of England ambulance service said the woman was unconscious but breathing when the medical teams arrived. The driver of the car was not thought to be injured.
- 1 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 2 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 3 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 4 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 5 Fears raised over Western Link surveying work
- 6 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 7 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 8 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 9 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 10 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk