Daylight assault on frail man, 65
Robyn Greenacre A 65-year-old man was left lying unconscious in Dereham today after he was attacked by a gang driving past in a car. Witnesses say the man had been trying to cross the top of Church Street when an altercation took place with a group of men in a blue car.
A 65-year-old man was left lying unconscious on the street of a busy market town after he was attacked by a gang driving past in a car today.
The victim, who is described as frail and uses a walking stick, had been near the Market Place in Dereham at around midday when the assault took place.
Witnesses say the man had been trying to cross the top of Church Street when an altercation took place with a group of men in a blue car.
One of the men then jumped out of a car and started kicking and punching the victim, leaving him sprawled on the ground.
And once the victim had been beaten to the floor and was unconscious his attackers sped off in a blue car.
- 1 'Proper farming' sees dairy family crowned Norfolk farm champions
- 2 Care home linked with grandmother's death lifted from special measures
- 3 Food bank urges public to donate items to supermarket appeal
- 4 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 5 Man charged in connection with burglary at Dereham home
- 6 Revealed: The towns and villages where metal thieves have struck
- 7 'Being a mum is all she wants' - Fund launched for 26-year-old's IVF dream
- 8 Final details revealed ahead of Queen's Dragoon Guards freedom parade
- 9 Police ask public to check sheds in search for missing man
- 10 Man caught with cannabis after armed police called to Dereham park
Luckily an off-duty police officer and paramedic were on hand to tend to the victim and take down details, while a nearby traffic warden dealt with the tailbacks.
An ambulance took the man, who has yet to be named, to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital suffering cuts and bruises.
Police are making enquiries into the incident and anyone with information should call Dereham police station on 0845 4564567.