Daylight assault on frail man, 65
Robyn Greenacre A 65-year-old man was left lying unconscious in Dereham today after he was attacked by a gang driving past in a car. Witnesses say the man had been trying to cross the top of Church Street when an altercation took place with a group of men in a blue car.
A 65-year-old man was left lying unconscious on the street of a busy market town after he was attacked by a gang driving past in a car today.
The victim, who is described as frail and uses a walking stick, had been near the Market Place in Dereham at around midday when the assault took place.
Witnesses say the man had been trying to cross the top of Church Street when an altercation took place with a group of men in a blue car.
You may also want to watch:
One of the men then jumped out of a car and started kicking and punching the victim, leaving him sprawled on the ground.
And once the victim had been beaten to the floor and was unconscious his attackers sped off in a blue car.
- 1 Your Say: Should face masks be made a legal requirement again?
- 2 Overnight road closures expected on part of A47
- 3 Buses delayed by queues at petrol stations
- 4 Zara, 8, conquers virtual mountain climb amid mum's cancer battle
- 5 Stunning aerial photo shows Norfolk cemetery shaped like a leaf
- 6 Dereham boxer Emma has world title ambitions
- 7 Dereham pub set to host beer and blues festival
- 8 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 9 Covid heroes recognised at special awards evening
- 10 Meet the great-grandmother who has raised more than £100,000 for her church
Luckily an off-duty police officer and paramedic were on hand to tend to the victim and take down details, while a nearby traffic warden dealt with the tailbacks.
An ambulance took the man, who has yet to be named, to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital suffering cuts and bruises.
Police are making enquiries into the incident and anyone with information should call Dereham police station on 0845 4564567.