Dereham Town have to settle for point from a disappointing local derby
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Dereham Town shared the points with Norwich United in a disappointing Boxing Day derby game which could have gone either way.
After an even start Dereham nearly caught the visitors on the break with Danny Beaumont linking with Jamie Forshaw who teed up David Hinton 20 yards out but the home skipper fired over.
The Magpies enjoyed a spell of pressure and Forshaw's half hit drive was easily saved by Andy Wilton before Benjamin Jones forced home keeper Elliot Pride to tip over.
As play switched ends visiting keeper Wilton made a fine save to deny Crisp. The home side had another chance in the 26th minute when Jake Anema's deep free-kick reached Beaumont but his shot on the turn drifted wide.
The Magpies won a corner on the right in the 37th minute, with Crisp's centre falling to Forshaw whose fierce close range volley was superbly blocked by visiting defender Sam Watts. Dereham then looked to have claims for a penalty when Crisp was upended but the referee deemed that the offence was just outside the box and Beaumont fired the resultant free-kick into the wall.
You may also want to watch:
With the wind now in their favour Dereham nearly took the lead straight after the break when Beaumont's thunderous 30 yard drive cannoned off Wilton's bar and they came close again with Forshaw firing just off target.
Robbie Linford found Logan with a great ball to the right and his centre reached Ashley Jarvis but the striker shot off target when well placed.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 3 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 4 Number of Covid patients in hospital falls for first time in four months
- 5 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
- 6 Councillor accused of 'squirming' over environmental centre finances
- 7 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 8 Resident’s fears over more housing as sewerage system buckles
- 9 'Bonkers' - MP objects to 50-home development in village
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
Jarvis then just failed to get on to Logan's low cross before Crisp drilled a low 20 yard effort into Wilton's arms. Jarvis steered the ball wide from close range as it ended goalless.
Dereham resume their Bostik League North campaign on Saturday when they welcome fourth placed Canvey Island, the side immediately below them in the table, to Aldiss Park (3pm). They then travel to Soham Town Rangers on New Year's Day (Monday, 3pm).
Dereham: E Pride, O Murphy, J Anema, R Linford, O Ebbage, M Castellan, R Logan, D Hinton, R Crisp (K Wengrizk 86), J Forshaw (L Mason 83), D Beaumont (A Jarvis 62). Att: 209