Latest Dereham Carnival addition aims to put the fun back into run ahead of its parade
- Credit: Archant
The latest addition to Dereham Carnival's exciting line-up has been announced - and is sure to have the crowds up and on their feet.
A one-mile fun run will see 100 runners head to the starting line to get on their marks, set, and go immediately before the carnival parade kicks off this July .
The inaugural run has been organised in association with Dereham Runners and will follow the same route as the parade.
Only 100 places will be made available to the public and is open to anyone who is able to run one mile in approximately 10 minutes, due to the parade which will be hot on the runners' heels.
Pete Jessop, vice chairman of Dereham Carnival Committee, said: 'We are really pleased to welcome the Dereham Runners along on Carnival Day.
'It's a perfect fit to be able to use the route and the let the crowds cheer on the runners and hopefully if the run is well received we can only see this part of the event grow and grow.
You may also want to watch:
'There is going to be more entertainment this year and the mile fun run will be an exciting addition.'
The Dereham Runners are hosting the event and will be showcasing their bright red tops on the day. The carnival's mascot, the beloved Biscuit the deer, will be leading the way.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 4 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 5 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 6 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 7 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 8 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 9 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 10 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
Although this year's event will not be a race, there will be a gantry and timing clock at the finish line for runners to check their official time.
The fun run costs £1 per person and the proceeds will go towards carnival funds and its chosen charities. A prize will also be given for the best fancy dress costume worn by a runner.
The race will start at 10.45am on Sunday, July 22, and will finish at about 11am. The route is currently being finalised.
Only runners aged 12 and above can take part.
- If you are up for the challenge and want to take part visit the website www.derehamcarnival.co.uk/events.
- For more on Dereham Runners visit the website www.derehamrunners.co.uk.