Community spirit shines at special event organised to celebrate town
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Pupils from Dereham united with their community for a chance to learn and celebrate.
Children from Northgate High School and Dereham Sixth Form College joined forces to put on a community day for the town to enjoy.
In the morning, mixed year groups attended sessions about dementia, mental health strategies for teenagers and helping vulnerable people. Then in the afternoon, a choir made up of Year 7 pupils greeted visitors to the school field for an afternoon of fun.
Activities including racing a kit car, meeting police dogs, sampling cakes judged by Masterchef finalist Dr Tim Kinnaird, a performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream, and carnival games.
Residents of Sanford House also attended an afternoon tea.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for the school said: "There was such an amazing atmosphere with everyone smiling and laughing. It was a real chance to celebrate all that is good about Northgate and the sixth form with the Dereham community."
Money raised from the day will go towards Dementia Friendly Dereham and teenage mental health projects within the schools.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 4 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 5 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 8 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 9 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 10 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
The event took place on Monday, July 22.