‘Don’t light fires in this hot weather’ - Warning after garage fire breaks out near Dereham
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters were called to put out a garage fire near Dereham.
Two appliances from the mid-Norfolk market town were called shortly after 3pm today (Tuesday July 10) to Kennedy Close, Toftwood.
Incident commander, Alan Jaye, from Norfolk Fire and Rescue warned others to avoid lighting fires due to the recent hot and dry weather.
He said: 'This was an accidental fire which spread from a bonfire. It escalated due to the dry weather.
'It's not as hot today but due to the wind and how dry it is, it doesn't take much to get a fire going.
You may also want to watch:
'The message is simple - don't light fires in this weather.'
The majority of the garage has been destroyed in the blaze and there was also some charring to a neighbour's garage.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 4 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 5 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 8 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 9 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 10 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
The fire was under control within an hour and no one was injured.