‘Don’t light fires in this hot weather’ - Warning after garage fire breaks out near Dereham

Firefighters from Dereham were called to put out a garage fire in the town. Picture: DONNA-LOUISE BI

Firefighters from Dereham were called to put out a garage fire in the town. Picture: DONNA-LOUISE BISHOP - Credit: Archant

Firefighters were called to put out a garage fire near Dereham.

Two appliances from the mid-Norfolk market town were called shortly after 3pm today (Tuesday July 10) to Kennedy Close, Toftwood.

Incident commander, Alan Jaye, from Norfolk Fire and Rescue warned others to avoid lighting fires due to the recent hot and dry weather.

He said: 'This was an accidental fire which spread from a bonfire. It escalated due to the dry weather.

'It's not as hot today but due to the wind and how dry it is, it doesn't take much to get a fire going.

Firefighters from Dereham were called to put out a garage fire in the town. Picture: DONNA-LOUISE BI

Firefighters from Dereham were called to put out a garage fire in the town. Picture: DONNA-LOUISE BISHOP - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


'The message is simple - don't light fires in this weather.'

The majority of the garage has been destroyed in the blaze and there was also some charring to a neighbour's garage.

Most Read

The fire was under control within an hour and no one was injured.

Firefighters from Dereham were called to put out a garage fire in the town. Picture: DONNA-LOUISE BI

Firefighters from Dereham were called to put out a garage fire in the town. Picture: DONNA-LOUISE BISHOP - Credit: Archant

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter