New food bank collection point installed at supermarket
- Credit: Tesco
A new foodbank collection point has been installed at a Dereham supermarket, meaning customers will now able to help the most vulnerable people in their communities all year round.
The new Trussell Trust donation point at Tesco Extra in Dereham, means shoppers can drop off long-life food whenever they are in store, with the supermarket topping up customer donations by 20pc in the form of a cash donation.
The customer donations will help to support people in Norfolk, with regular donations needed more than ever due to the extra pressure placed on the charity by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Joanna Stevenson, the Trussell Trust’s area manager for Norfolk and Suffolk, said it was humbling to see so many donations from people.
She added: "We’ve seen incredible compassion and concern for people facing hunger over the last year, together we can build a hunger-free future.”
Tesco’s head of community Claire de Silva said: “Covid-19 has placed huge demands on food charities.
You may also want to watch:
“We know that our customers want to help and by installing the new donation points it means all our customers can now easily donate food year-round.”
- 1 Customers 'overjoyed' by new rural shop
- 2 'Absolutely fantastic' - Mid-Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 3 BGT star leaves children in 'fits of laughter' with school performance
- 4 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 5 Women released under investigation after pub fight
- 6 'We've got a serious fire in our belly' - Dereham band's post-Covid tour
- 7 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 8 'It's lovely seeing people back'- Smiles as zoo reopens for families
- 9 Vandals smash planters two days after gallery reopens
- 10 9 things that have changed in Dereham since lockdown one