New food bank collection point installed at supermarket
- Credit: Tesco
A new foodbank collection point has been installed at a Dereham supermarket, meaning customers will now able to help the most vulnerable people in their communities all year round.
The new Trussell Trust donation point at Tesco Extra in Dereham, means shoppers can drop off long-life food whenever they are in store, with the supermarket topping up customer donations by 20pc in the form of a cash donation.
The customer donations will help to support people in Norfolk, with regular donations needed more than ever due to the extra pressure placed on the charity by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Joanna Stevenson, the Trussell Trust’s area manager for Norfolk and Suffolk, said it was humbling to see so many donations from people.
She added: "We’ve seen incredible compassion and concern for people facing hunger over the last year, together we can build a hunger-free future.”
Tesco’s head of community Claire de Silva said: “Covid-19 has placed huge demands on food charities.
You may also want to watch:
“We know that our customers want to help and by installing the new donation points it means all our customers can now easily donate food year-round.”
- 1 Farmers hope to open egg shop in football club car park
- 2 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 3 Watch: 91-year-old woman's stirring poem 'Wake Up Britain'
- 4 Your Say - What are Dereham's favourite shops?
- 5 Fire door company hiring more staff despite pandemic
- 6 Covid testing bus arrives at Dereham supermarket
- 7 New home and 'collective purpose' for men's shed
- 8 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 9 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 10 Barman suffered fractured eye socket after being punched on night out