New food bank collection point installed at supermarket
- Credit: Tesco
A new foodbank collection point has been installed at a Dereham supermarket, meaning customers will now able to help the most vulnerable people in their communities all year round.
The new Trussell Trust donation point at Tesco Extra in Dereham, means shoppers can drop off long-life food whenever they are in store, with the supermarket topping up customer donations by 20pc in the form of a cash donation.
The customer donations will help to support people in Norfolk, with regular donations needed more than ever due to the extra pressure placed on the charity by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Joanna Stevenson, the Trussell Trust’s area manager for Norfolk and Suffolk, said it was humbling to see so many donations from people.
She added: "We’ve seen incredible compassion and concern for people facing hunger over the last year, together we can build a hunger-free future.”
Tesco’s head of community Claire de Silva said: “Covid-19 has placed huge demands on food charities.
You may also want to watch:
“We know that our customers want to help and by installing the new donation points it means all our customers can now easily donate food year-round.”
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 6 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 7 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 8 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Revisit the industrial heritage in the heart of Norfolk