Dereham hearing dogs fundraiser thanks readers who helped her smash charity target
A diabetic deaf woman raising money for a hearing dogs charity has paid tribute to generous Dereham Times readers who have helped her smash her fundraising target.
Anne Holmes's six-year-old Yorkshire terrier and toy poodle cross Odell has transformed her life since Hearing Dogs for Deaf People brought them together in 2007.
She said the dog had saved her life by teaching herself to recognise when she needs an insulin injection, as well as alerting her to door bells, smoke alarms and cooking timers and giving her the confidence to leave her home.
Mrs Holmes had raised �850 towards her �1,000 fundraising goal when she last week appealed in the newspaper for further donations.
She immediately received one cheque for �150 and has now reached �1,167, with people stopping her in the street and when she is walking Odell to offer more money.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'One old lady in Watton sent me �5 in a letter and said she wished it could be more. I want to say thank you to the people who have donated.'
She said her partnership instructor from the charity, who made a six-monthly check on Odell last Wednesday, was 'thrilled to bits' by the donations, and suggested she use the rest of the year to reach �2,000.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 5 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 6 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 7 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 8 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 9 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
Mrs Holmes has talks at a cub pack and the Inner Wheel arranged for July, and will hold a collection at Roys in Dereham in August.
Contact Mrs Holmes at email@example.com or write to 12 Quebec Hall Bunglows, Quebec Road, Dereham, NR19 2QY or see hearingdogs.org.uk for information about the charity.