Dereham hearing dogs fundraiser thanks readers who helped her smash charity target
A diabetic deaf woman raising money for a hearing dogs charity has paid tribute to generous Dereham Times readers who have helped her smash her fundraising target.
Anne Holmes's six-year-old Yorkshire terrier and toy poodle cross Odell has transformed her life since Hearing Dogs for Deaf People brought them together in 2007.
She said the dog had saved her life by teaching herself to recognise when she needs an insulin injection, as well as alerting her to door bells, smoke alarms and cooking timers and giving her the confidence to leave her home.
Mrs Holmes had raised �850 towards her �1,000 fundraising goal when she last week appealed in the newspaper for further donations.
She immediately received one cheque for �150 and has now reached �1,167, with people stopping her in the street and when she is walking Odell to offer more money.
She said: 'One old lady in Watton sent me �5 in a letter and said she wished it could be more. I want to say thank you to the people who have donated.'
She said her partnership instructor from the charity, who made a six-monthly check on Odell last Wednesday, was 'thrilled to bits' by the donations, and suggested she use the rest of the year to reach �2,000.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 3 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 4 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 9 Dereham boss ignoring favourites tag ahead of cup final
- 10 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
Mrs Holmes has talks at a cub pack and the Inner Wheel arranged for July, and will hold a collection at Roys in Dereham in August.
Contact Mrs Holmes at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to 12 Quebec Hall Bunglows, Quebec Road, Dereham, NR19 2QY or see hearingdogs.org.uk for information about the charity.