Dereham students get an insight into British politics
- Credit: Archant
Students in Dereham have been given an insight into the world of politics thanks to a visit from the former Lord Speaker of the House of Lords.
Baroness Hayman visited Dereham Sixth Form College on Friday and spoke to students about her career in politics and the House of Lords.
She recalled how she got her first experience of politics when Enoch Powell came as a local MP to speak at her school and how she went on to become the youngest MP at 25 years old.
She also explained how she became the first elected Lord Speaker of the House of Lords and what the role entailed.
One key piece of advice she offered to the students was to 'have the confidence and energy to try and be the best that you can be.'
You may also want to watch:
At the end of the talk, students had the opportunity to ask the Baroness questions on topical issues such as President Trump, the NHS and the gender pay gap.
- 1 'Makes it all worthwhile' - Pub's prestigious business award
- 2 Woman punched in car in town centre assault
- 3 Mum who survived grapefruit sized tumour celebrates £1m milestone
- 4 Buses converted into Covid testing units ahead of expected third wave
- 5 Tributes paid to former hotelier 'Jillie the mad gran'
- 6 New owner of business park could have lost trade without purchase
- 7 Fakenham figure - Questions put to community celebrities
- 8 'Your efforts have paid off' - Further lockdown lifting confirmed for May 17
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Wanted man arrested in Dereham