Dereham students get an insight into British politics
- Credit: Archant
Students in Dereham have been given an insight into the world of politics thanks to a visit from the former Lord Speaker of the House of Lords.
Baroness Hayman visited Dereham Sixth Form College on Friday and spoke to students about her career in politics and the House of Lords.
She recalled how she got her first experience of politics when Enoch Powell came as a local MP to speak at her school and how she went on to become the youngest MP at 25 years old.
She also explained how she became the first elected Lord Speaker of the House of Lords and what the role entailed.
One key piece of advice she offered to the students was to 'have the confidence and energy to try and be the best that you can be.'
You may also want to watch:
At the end of the talk, students had the opportunity to ask the Baroness questions on topical issues such as President Trump, the NHS and the gender pay gap.
- 1 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 2 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 3 Covid responsible for half of all deaths in worst hit areas of Norfolk
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Dazzling display raises hundreds for hospital charity
- 6 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch
- 7 Wetherspoon pubs reveal reopening plan after 'zero' sales
- 8 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 9 Bollywood film shot in Norfolk to be released on Netflix
- 10 'Stay indoors' warning amid flooding fears for Norfolk roads