Dereham students get an insight into British politics
- Credit: Archant
Students in Dereham have been given an insight into the world of politics thanks to a visit from the former Lord Speaker of the House of Lords.
Baroness Hayman visited Dereham Sixth Form College on Friday and spoke to students about her career in politics and the House of Lords.
She recalled how she got her first experience of politics when Enoch Powell came as a local MP to speak at her school and how she went on to become the youngest MP at 25 years old.
She also explained how she became the first elected Lord Speaker of the House of Lords and what the role entailed.
One key piece of advice she offered to the students was to 'have the confidence and energy to try and be the best that you can be.'
You may also want to watch:
At the end of the talk, students had the opportunity to ask the Baroness questions on topical issues such as President Trump, the NHS and the gender pay gap.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 3 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 4 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 5 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 6 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 7 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 8 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 9 'The company was becoming the story' - Under fire care home firm to sell up
- 10 Potential resurrection of Dereham Rotary Club to be discussed at meeting