Delayed roadworks cause hundreds of drivers to be stuck in town for ‘up to an hour’

PUBLISHED: 15:48 17 March 2019 | UPDATED: 05:34 18 March 2019

Traffic in Dereham caused delays for hundreds of drivers. Pictured is the town's Market Place. Picture: Ian Burt

Traffic in Dereham caused delays for hundreds of drivers. Pictured is the town's Market Place. Picture: Ian Burt

The final day of planned roadworks caused long delays to drivers’ journeys after they became stuck in traffic.

Traffic in Dereham caused delays for hundreds of drivers. Picture: GOOGLETraffic in Dereham caused delays for hundreds of drivers. Picture: GOOGLE

Hundreds of motorists in Dereham faced being stuck in queues in and around the town centre for up to an hour.

The problem is believed to have been caused by on-going roadworks off High Street, which was scheduled to be completed on Sunday, March 17.

Resident Alex Parker was concerned that some drivers who had parked in the car park opposite the police station on Commercial Road would receive a fine, due to being stuck there for more than 30 minutes.

“Wonder how many got back to their cars just short of the three hour allowance but couldn’t get out and will now pick up a fine?” he said.

Linda Lambert, also of Dereham, said: “We meant to go down the bypass from Eckling Grange, but forgot and it took 30 mins to get from Cemetery Road to Tesco.”

And resident Shaun Jackson dubbed the closure “a joke”, adding that Sunday was one of the busiest days in the week for traffic in Dereham.

Jonathan Poll, who lives on South Green Gardens, said it took him more than 20 minutes to get to Morrisons on Station Road.

Mr Poll added: “It’s not just the roadworks, traffic is still just as bad as it was before the traffic lights were supposedly upgraded - stay on green too long, traffic waiting on red lights, build up, then hey-ho, everything is chocablock.”

Others were hopeful that the on-going roadworks would be completed.

Scheduled to take place across three consecutive Sundays, starting on February 24, the final day of resurfacing had been delayed by a week due to wet weather conditions.

Full road closures were in effect from between 7.30am and 7pm each Sunday, stretching from the junction with Banyard Place northwards to the junction with the Market Place.

Resident Anne Sibley said it was “good” if the temporary ramp was being fixed on Norwich Street, and Stephen Smith agreed, adding: “Resurfacing has to be done sometime.”

Meanwhile, other people were quick to say they had not noticed any difference.

Emma Louise Claridge said the traffic had been “no worse than normal” and Sheree Bloomfield agreed it was “no busier”.

While Russ Bulmer added: “There was a lot of traffic on Commercial Road around lunchtime but didn’t give it a second thought.”

The work which will cost £70,000 will be carried out by Norfolk County Council’s Community and Environmental Services Department and their contractors .

Funding for this scheme is from the extra £12.694m Norfolk County Council has received from the Government to spend on road maintenance in 2018/19.

- Check our live traffic map before you travel.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dereham Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Dereham Times