Dereham teacher’s marathon challenge
- Credit: Archant
A Dereham teacher is set to run seven marathons in seven days after a family tragedy.
Tom Stafford, a teacher at Dereham Neatherd High School, will set off from Buckingham Palace on April 6 and will run 26.2 miles each day to Paris in time to take part in the French capital's marathon on April 12.
He is taking on the challenge to raise money for Sands, the stillbirth and neonatal death charity, after his brother Paul and sister-in-law Louise lost their baby girl Lottie last year.
Mr Stafford, a subject leader of geography, said: 'Following the loss of my brother Paul and sister-in-law Louise's baby last June I wanted to do something that not only challenged my body but that would encourage people to donate and help raise money for Sands who were a huge support to Paul and Louise.'
More than 5,700 babies were stillborn or died within the first four weeks of life in the UK in 2013. That equates to more than 15 babies every day whose families' lives are devastated with lifelong consequences.
You may also want to watch:
Carolyn Bray, fundraising manager at Sands, said:
'The efforts of our fundraisers never fail to amaze us here at Sands. As a charity we rely on the wonderful generosity of our supporters to continue our work.
- 1 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 2 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 3 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 4 Husband donates £1m to cancer research so 'no one else goes through same pain'
- 5 Former army officer resigns as councillor for 'personal reasons'
- 6 Coffee morning raises more than £2,000 for charity
- 7 'Bring it on' - New chief executive appointed to district council
- 8 Students and staff come together for celebration of high school's history
- 9 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 10 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
'To take on a massive challenge such as running seven marathons in seven days is fantastic.
'We would like to wish Tom, who is fundraising in memory of baby Lottie, all the best.'
Sands operate throughout the UK supporting anyone affected by the death of a baby and promote research to reduce the loss of babies' lives.
To donate to Tom please visit https://www.justgiving.com/lottiesrun/
Are you undertaking a gruelling challenge for charity? Email firstname.lastname@example.org