Dereham teacher’s marathon challenge
- Credit: Archant
A Dereham teacher is set to run seven marathons in seven days after a family tragedy.
Tom Stafford, a teacher at Dereham Neatherd High School, will set off from Buckingham Palace on April 6 and will run 26.2 miles each day to Paris in time to take part in the French capital's marathon on April 12.
He is taking on the challenge to raise money for Sands, the stillbirth and neonatal death charity, after his brother Paul and sister-in-law Louise lost their baby girl Lottie last year.
Mr Stafford, a subject leader of geography, said: 'Following the loss of my brother Paul and sister-in-law Louise's baby last June I wanted to do something that not only challenged my body but that would encourage people to donate and help raise money for Sands who were a huge support to Paul and Louise.'
More than 5,700 babies were stillborn or died within the first four weeks of life in the UK in 2013. That equates to more than 15 babies every day whose families' lives are devastated with lifelong consequences.
Carolyn Bray, fundraising manager at Sands, said:
'The efforts of our fundraisers never fail to amaze us here at Sands. As a charity we rely on the wonderful generosity of our supporters to continue our work.
- 1 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
- 2 Biker taken to hospital after crash involving SUV
- 3 Village chapel could be converted into homes
- 4 Troops parade through Dereham after being given freedom of the town
- 5 Why this Dereham store is attracting athletes from across the UK
- 6 Chance to try leisure centre for free at open day
- 7 Drink driver caught at three times legal limit on A1067
- 8 Developer requests not to contribute £100,000 for affordable housing
- 9 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 10 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
'To take on a massive challenge such as running seven marathons in seven days is fantastic.
'We would like to wish Tom, who is fundraising in memory of baby Lottie, all the best.'
Sands operate throughout the UK supporting anyone affected by the death of a baby and promote research to reduce the loss of babies' lives.
To donate to Tom please visit https://www.justgiving.com/lottiesrun/
Are you undertaking a gruelling challenge for charity? Email firstname.lastname@example.org