Dereham Town looking to bounce back after disappointing Easter

DerehamTown boss Adam Gusterson Picture: Alan Palmer Photography

DerehamTown boss Adam Gusterson Picture: Alan Palmer Photography - Credit: Archant

Dereham Town will be looking to end an up and down league season on a high note at Aldiss Park on Saturday after a disappointing Easter.

The Magpies will be keen to put two defeats in the space of four days behind them when they entertain Great Wakering Rovers in their final Bostik League North fixture.

Victory against the side immediately above them in the table would see Dereham finish 14th - no mean achievement after being involved in a relegation battle for much of the season.

All attention will then be focused on a trip to Carrow Road next Tuesday evening (7.30pm) for the final of the Norfolk Senior Cup, with Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division side Thetford Town providing the opposition. Admission is £7 for adults and £4 for concessions.

After a poor first half against Tilbury at Aldiss Park on Saturday Dereham staged a late comeback but could not find an equaliser and went down 3-2.

In the 25th minute Mitchell Gilbey challenged Tom McLeish for a clearance from Elliot Pride. He then ran on and chipped the home keeper and as the ball clipped the bar Oliver Spooner was on hand to net from close range and put the visitors ahead.

Dereham then missed a great chance to equalise when Adam Plumstead headed Adam Hipperson's centre off target from point blank range with Shaun Wones in a better position behind him.

Most Read

The home side again came close to levelling when Hipperson unleashed a powerful 25 yarder that forced Rhys Madden into a great save but in added time the Dockers increased their lead with Marcus Bowers having the simple task of blasting home George Sykes' pull back.

The Dockers added to their tally in the 70th minute when Dereham lost the ball cheaply and Harry Watkins hit a curling 20 yard drive that went in via the underside of the bar.

Dereham reduced the deficit in the 78th minute when Dion Frary steered home Ryan Crisp's low ball and got a second seven minutes later as Matty Castellan headed home Danny Beaumont's free-kick from the left.

Dereham: E Pride, D Frary, T McLeish (C Dickerson 80), D Hinton, S Wones, A Plumstead, D Beaumont, A Smith, R Crisp, J Forshaw (M Castellan 68), A Hipperson. Attendance: 171.

On Monday Dereham went down 2-1 at Soham, with a late penalty settling the issue.

Talented young defender Charlie Dickerson was handed a full debut on a baking hot afternoon.

In the fifth minute Soham's Erkan Okay lobbed the ball forward to Callum Russell who beat the advancing Pride with a low drive to put the home side in front.

In the 28th minute Dickerson pressed down the left with the ball reaching Danny Beaumont who delivered a low cross that Jamie Forshaw failed to convert at the near post. The Magpies quickly won a free-kick 20 yards out and Danny Beaumont displayed his class to curl a tremendous right foot effort into the roof of the net to make it 1-1.

Beaumont soon put Crisp though on goal but home keeper Craig Foxall made a crucial save.

Dereham had plenty of chances to go ahead in the second half, with Rhys Logan, Crisp and Forshaw all going close - but it was Soham who had the final say.

In the 78th minute David Hinton was adjudged to have upended a home forward in the box when he looked to have won the ball and was dismissed for a second yellow card and Russell sent Pride the wrong way from the spot to put Soham back in front.

Dereham: E Pride, D Frary, C Dickerson, D Hinton, M Castellan, A Plumstead, R Logan, S Wones, R Crisp (A Hipperson 70n), J Forshaw, D Beaumont. Subs: T McLeish, O Willis. Att: 149.