Dereham Town win scrappy encounter to keep hopes alive of a top 10 finish

Ryan Crisp scored twice as Dereham Town came away from Witham with a 3-2 win Picture: ARCHANT

Ryan Crisp scored twice as Dereham Town came away from Witham with a 3-2 win Picture: ARCHANT - Credit: Ian Burt

Dereham Town gained a useful away win on a difficult pitch to keep alive their hopes of a top 10 finish in Division One North of the Bostik League.

They recovered from conceding an early goal to win a scrappy game 3-2 at struggling Witham Town, with joint manager Adam Gusterson tweeting afterwards 'There's something really satisfying about winning a disgusting game of football as we did today! Thank you to our away support who had to endure it! Head it, kick it, hook it!'

The Magpies now face two games in the space of four days, with a home fixture against Tilbury on Saturday being followed by a trip to Soham Town Rangers on Easter Monday (both 3pm).

They then round off an up and down campaign with a game against Great Wakering Rovers at Aldiss Park on Saturday week and a good finish could see climb well above their current position of 14th.

Witham took the lead in the fifth minute on Saturday when Situ Odelusi bundled home Johnny Ashman's cross from the right from close range. Things nearly got worse for the Magpies when Ashman cut in from the left and stuck the far post before Jack Lelliott picked up the loose ball and hit the top of the bar.

Dereham were awarded a penalty in the 15th minute for a push on Ryan Crisp and Adam Hipperson made no mistake from the spot to level matters. With play proving difficult on the uneven surface Danny Beaumont tested Luca Collins with a long range effort which the home keeper saved. Dereham went in front in the 43rd minute when the ball bobbled across the area and reached Crisp who turned sharply and beat Collins with a well placed low drive.

In the 62nd minute Witham's Odelusi turned his man well just inside the box before striking a left foot drive that forced keeper Elliot Pride into a good save. The Magpies increased their lead with their next attack when Rhys Logan beat his man down the right and delivered a low cross that Beaumont nudged towards Crisp and the striker converted his second goal of the match from close range.

Most Read

As Witham looked to bounce back Shaun Wones produced a fine interception to block Luke Foster's shot on the turn while Odelusi fired over when well placed.

In the 85th minute Adam Plumstead brought down Foster in the box and Odelusi converted to set up a tense finish. In the final minute Witham struck the bar following a throw from the right as Dereham hung on to take the points.

Dereham: E Pride, D Frary, T McLeish, D Hinton, S Wones, A Plumstead, R Logan, A Smith, R Crisp (T Katsande 83), D Beaumont, A Hipperson (C Hipperson 76).