Dereham Town in need of a lift after two painful defeats
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham Town are struggling for form after making a superb start to the season under new boss Neal Simmons.
The Magpies won their first five games while conceding just one goal - but since then a draw has been their best result and they lost 2-1 at home to Boston Town in the FA Cup on Saturday before being beaten 4-1 at Canvey Island in Bostik League North on Tuesday evening.
A below-par Dereham side were soundly beaten at the Frost Hire Stadium as their poor run continued.
After Canvey had made the better start the Magpies came close when skipper David Hinton picked up a clearance and went on a mazy run before dragging his shot inches wide.
Rhys Logan then had a chance inside the box but fired over the top.
You may also want to watch:
Canvey took the lead against the run of play in the 42nd minute when Mitchell Gilbert guided home George Sykes' pull back from close range.
The home side increased their lead with a well worked goal in the 56th minute. Sykes' ball into the box was chested down to George Craddock who netted from close range. Dereham keeper Elliott Pride then made two fine saves to stop Canvey adding to their tally.
- 1 Town thrilled by crafters' dazzling knitted creations
- 2 Staff shortages force closure of pharmacy
- 3 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 4 Beauty giveaway and Euro 2020 help sees £20,000 raised for Logan's surgery
- 5 Full steam ahead for track renewal work on railway
- 6 'Very emotional' - Joy as town's social centre reopens
- 7 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 8 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 9 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 10 Heavy rain and thunder set to continue with weather warnings in place
It was no surprise when the home side put the game beyond doubt in the 74th minute. Sam Collins' ball beat the Magpies offside trap, enabling Sykes to run on and round Pride before slotting home. As the pressure continued Sykes turned Taylor inside the box and firmly curled the ball into the corner of the net to make it 4-0.
Dereham scored a consolation goal in the 88th minute when Hinton fired into the roof of the net following Danny Beaumont's corner.
Dereham: E Pride, S Taylor, J Anema (S Dodden 85), R Linford, O Ebbage, M Castellan, R Logan, D Hinton, A Jarvis (O Murphy 85), D Beaumont, D Frary (J Gating 59). Sub not used: A Bean.
Dereham's busy start to the season continues with two more Bostik League Division One North games in the space of four days.
The Magpies are at home to Barking on Saturday (3pm) and then travel to Ram Meadow on Tuesday night to take on Bury Town (7.45pm).