Dereham Town see off Bury’s 10 men to reclaim top spot
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Town moved back to the top of the Bostik North League after beating 10-man Bury Town 2-0 at Aldiss Park on Tuesday night.
Bradley Barber was dismissed for a poor tackle on Matt Castellan after just three minutes and the Magpies took full advantage of having an extra man.
They went in front in the 17th minute when Rhys Logan's chip into the box fell to Jamie Forshaw and he skilfully volleyed home from 14 yards.
Dereham nearly increased their lead when Logan put Forshaw through but this time his shot went past the far post. Bury replied when Fenn was unlucky to see his fierce 30 yard drive go over while the lively Forshaw volleyed Castellan's pass narrowly off target.
Dereham continued to press after the break and added to their tally in the 59th minute. Forshaw lifted the ball over the visiting defence into the path of Toby Hilliard who showed great composure to run on and slot home.
Darren Mills forced home keeper Elliot Pride to save his low 20 yard drive in the 77th minute as they battled gamely while Hilliard fired just off target from a free-kick as the hosts picked up their first win in four games.
Dereham: E Pride, M Castellan, O Murphy, D Hinton, J Eastoe-Smith, O Ebbage, R Logan, F Burgers, T Hilliard, J Forshaw (R Linford 83), D Beaumont (A Jarvis 53). Subs: R Crisp, A Bean.
- 1 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
- 2 Why this Dereham store is attracting athletes from across the UK
- 3 Troops parade through Dereham after being given freedom of the town
- 4 Drink driver caught at three times legal limit on A1067
- 5 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 6 Biker taken to hospital after crash involving SUV
- 7 Man to pay out almost £400 after fishing in River Wensum in close season
- 8 Hinton sends farewell message to fans after leaving Magpies
- 9 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 10 Chance to try leisure centre for free at open day
Bury: L Tibbles, D Cooper (T Robinson 65) T Allen, O Fenn, J Fenn, J White, K Clements, O Hughes, R Jolland, C Ramadan (J Yaxley 65) B Barber, D Mills. Subs: D De'ath, R Yallop, B Mayhew.
Ref: Mr D Hutton, Att: 137
The Magpies hit the road on Saturday to take on a Heybridge Swifts side fresh from an excellent run in the FA Cup which saw them reach the first round proper before losing to Exeter City.
The Essex side have a mountain of league to fixtures to catch up on after their cup heroics and should be in the promotion frame once they have caught up.
Dereham then switch their focus to the Norfolk Senior XCup, with Thurlow Nunn Division One side Diss Town visiting Aldiss Park for a third round tie on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).