Ten things to do in Dereham, mid Norfolk’s ‘hidden gem’
PUBLISHED: 13:41 19 July 2018 | UPDATED: 16:34 19 July 2018
TripAdvisor rentals site Holiday Lettings has named the market town one of the UK’s top rated ‘hidden gem’ destinations for summer holidays. Jessica Frank-Keyes rounds up just ten of the things you can get up while visiting the area...
- The Mid-Norfolk Railway, which runs from Dereham to Wymondham, hosts events throughout the year from an afternoon tea train to the Christmas Polar Express ride.
- Dereham boasts its very own escape games. Puzzlescape has three rooms, ranging in price from £20 for two people to £13 for seven. A fun and family friendly activity.
- The Dereham Blues Festival has been an annual event since 2013 and sees musicians perform in venues and pubs across town, filling Dereham with the sound of music.
- Bishop Bonner’s Cottage on St Withburga Lane is the oldest building in Dereham. The cottage is home to a museum exploring the town’s past. Entry is £2; free for children.
- Dereham Golf Club has been in the heart of the mid Norfolk countryside since 1934. Prices for non members range from £10 to £25, and food and drink is available at the clubhouse.
- Dereham has a lot on offer to entertain kids, even on rainy days, from the Hollywood Cinema, in the Market Place, to Strikes Bowl and leisure centre on Station Road.
- Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse is a museum of Norfolk life, set in 50 acres of countryside, complete with adventure playgrounds, walking trails and orchards.
- Each July Dereham welcomes a carnival to the streets of the town. Sponsored by local businesses, it includes live music, a parade, food and drink, craft stalls, and more.
- Dereham’s historic St Nicholas Parish Church was built during Norman times. It’s home to a 16th century bell tower and is thought to be the site of a Saxon nunnery.
- Finally, a visit to Dereham wouldn’t be complete without stopping off at the town’s five floor Grade II listed windmill, with a coffee shop, exhibitions and a steep climb to the top.