‘She will always be remembered for her happy and smiling personality’ - Community pays final tribute to wife of former county council chairman
- Credit: IAN BURT
Tributes have flooded in for a community stalwart who had 'a huge generosity of spirit'.
It comes following the death of Doris Nicholson, wife of former Norfolk County Council chairman Frederic, known as Fred, Nicholson.
Jane Hayman, head of Fred Nicholson School, which was established in Dereham by Mrs Nicholson's late husband in 1974, said: 'She was an important part in the school's life ever since it was first established.
'Doris was a great supporter of any school events and would always attend if she were able.
'Once on site she would tour the event like visiting royalty, having time for everyone and asking after them and whether they were enjoying school.
'Doris was a unique lady with a huge generosity of spirit.'
Mrs Nicholson was born in Brisley in 1924 and moved to North Elmham with her family in 1937.
- 1 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 2 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 3 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 4 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 5 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 6 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 7 Dereham school recognised for commitment to equality and diversity
- 8 Norfolk woman dies after being stung by wasp in Spain
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Cost of living - 'Rising energy bills mean we've had to shut'
She attended Fakenham Grammar School and left aged 16, before working at North Elmham train station booking office, where she helped the wartime effort by filling a position previously overseen by the men who had left for battle during the Second World War.
In 1946 she married Fred at St Mary's Church in the village and they lived at Foxburrow Farm. In 1963, He was made a CBE and eventually the couple moved to Hoe. Then in 1983, after her husband's death, Mrs Nicholson moved to Dereham.
A keen golfer, she became actively involved with Dereham Golf Club.
Kathy Duffield, current ladies president, said: 'Doris joined in the late 1950s and became an active member helping with teas and arranging flowers in the club house.
'She played in the league and friendly matches for the club and became lady captain in 1962, going on to become lady president in 1987.
'She was a social member for many years, a very well liked member who was encouraging to new and younger members and she will always be remembered for her happy and smiling personality.'
A spokesperson, on behalf of the family, said: 'Doris was a very much-loved aunt and great aunt. She did a lot of work for Cancer Research UK when she was younger and she always remained very active.'
Mrs Nicholson died at Lincoln House, Swanton Morley, aged 93 on December 30, 2017. Her funeral was held at St Mary's Church, North Elmham, on January 29.