England super fan's shock at Wembley carnage
- Credit: Michael Lyons Photography
A Dereham football fan who attended the Euros final at Wembley has told of his horror at the unfolding chaos he witnessed at the stadium.
In a Facebook post, England fan Ian Odgers, who has not missed a home game in 12 years, wrote: “So our day out at England’s first final for 55 years was ruined. Not by the team being unable to beat a very impressive Italian side but by the thousands of mindless morons that descended on Wembley.
“I got there at 3[pm] and even by then it was unsafe to get down to the stadium. Many thought it was fun to be chucking glass bottles up in the air to land literally anywhere.
“I’ve heard numerous stories of fans being seen by medics as they had glass embedded in them. Numerous side streets later and we end up nearer the ground where Italian fans felt a bit safer, but alas no as we witnessed them getting beer poured over them by yet further morons - to which I gave a few choice words to.
“Then there was the chaos of hundreds of ticketless idiots stampeding the lines of security to get into Wembley.
“Please be under no illusion that these are England fans. They were drugged up, drunk dregs of society that don an England shirt and used the occasion of a major final to behave like deranged animals.
You may also want to watch:
“These people don’t go to games and bet they wouldn’t even be able to tell you what our next fixtures are.
“Every time I wear my England shirt I know what it means. It means passion, commitment, respectfulness and inclusiveness.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 3 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 4 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 5 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 6 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 7 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
- 8 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 9 Two new dates announced after Flying Scotsman's Norfolk visit sells out
- 10 Care home reaches final of disability and autism awards
“These morons haven’t got a clue and are so far detached from the England team and its true fans it’s ridiculous.
“When you wear that shirt you are an ambassador for your country and how you behave whilst in that shirt has repercussions for us all.
“Thanks to you the world hates us when it comes to international football.
"The England team and its true fans are one big family. To those who caused the issues yesterday - we don’t like you and we really don’t want anything to do with you.”