Finals at their first attempt - Northgate girls excel at handball
- Credit: Northgate High School
They only started playing the sport six weeks ago but a team of year 8 girls from Northgate High School have reached a national final in handball.
The Dereham students will be off to the U13 National Handball Finals at Worcester Arena in June.
Pupils in year 8 and 10 were selected before the Easter holidays to take part in the Norwich Community Sports Foundation event at the UEA and year 8 girls and year 10 boys qualified to represent Norfolk at the eastern region competition.
Held at Cambridge University Sports Centre the pupils faced tough competition against experienced teams from across East Anglia.
The year 8 girls team continued to improve with each game they played, and a tense final against Essex was eventually won on penalties.
You may also want to watch:
The finals are quite an achievement for a group of girls who had never heard of handball six weeks ago.
- 1 Overnight road closures expected on part of A47
- 2 Dereham pub set to host beer and blues festival
- 3 Dereham boxer Emma has world title ambitions
- 4 'The people are very friendly': Q&A with Dereham volunteer Terri Dickerson
- 5 Dereham venues 'already filling up' for Christmas meals and parties
- 6 Pub bosses reach semi-final of 'industry Oscars'
- 7 Record Covid-19 rates among Norfolk children, but overall rates fall
- 8 Delays on the A47 after crash
- 9 Delays on A47 after crash involving lorry
- 10 Concerns wait for plan review could open door to 'aggressive' development