Finals at their first attempt - Northgate girls excel at handball
- Credit: Northgate High School
They only started playing the sport six weeks ago but a team of year 8 girls from Northgate High School have reached a national final in handball.
The Dereham students will be off to the U13 National Handball Finals at Worcester Arena in June.
Pupils in year 8 and 10 were selected before the Easter holidays to take part in the Norwich Community Sports Foundation event at the UEA and year 8 girls and year 10 boys qualified to represent Norfolk at the eastern region competition.
Held at Cambridge University Sports Centre the pupils faced tough competition against experienced teams from across East Anglia.
The year 8 girls team continued to improve with each game they played, and a tense final against Essex was eventually won on penalties.
You may also want to watch:
The finals are quite an achievement for a group of girls who had never heard of handball six weeks ago.
- 1 'Bonkers' - MP objects to 50-home development in village
- 2 Care home launches project to make residents dreams come true
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 5 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 6 Number of coronavirus deaths passes 1,000 at Norfolk's hospitals
- 7 Resident’s fears over more housing as sewerage system buckles
- 8 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region