Firefighters save plastics firm following blaze in Swanton Morley
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have prevented a fire that engulfed 400 plastic crates from destroying a building that houses a plastics repairs business, as well potentially explosive cylinders.
The drama started when several residents in Swanton Morley, near Dereham, called 999 about the blaze that started at Plastic Repairs Plus, on Hoe Road East, just before 7pm.
A total of 25 firefighters from stations in Dereham, Reepham, Fakenham and Aylsham found their job complicated by an electricity pylon that had started to spark, and advised residents to stay indoors.
Stuart Horth, the fire service's head of community safety, said: 'The crews have done a very good job in stopping the fire before it became more serious and entered the building.'
No-one was injured, but one car was destroyed, and firefighters started to leave the scene at 9pm.
The EDP has launched a Save our Stations campaign to fight proposed council cuts to the fire service.
What do you think? Write (giving your full contact details) to: The Letters Editor, EDP, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE or email EDPLetters@archant.co.uk
- 1 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
- 2 Biker taken to hospital after crash involving SUV
- 3 Village chapel could be converted into homes
- 4 Troops parade through Dereham after being given freedom of the town
- 5 Why this Dereham store is attracting athletes from across the UK
- 6 Chance to try leisure centre for free at open day
- 7 Drink driver caught at three times legal limit on A1067
- 8 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 9 Developer requests not to contribute £100,000 for affordable housing
- 10 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
Do you have any photos of the fire? Email firstname.lastname@example.org