Bed and breakfast near heritage railway scoops award
- Credit: Archant
A bed and breakfast in mid Norfolk has been announced as one of the latest to receive a Trip Advisor award.
Forge House Yaxham, near Dereham, has been awarded the Travellers’ Choice 2020.
The award is based on a full year of Trip Advisor customer reviews and is awarded to establishments who prove to offer consistency and excellence in hospitality.
Owners Daniel and Amy Hull said they were “surprised but ecstatic” by the news.
Mrs Hull added: “We have such wonderful guests come to stay for the peace and quiet here, from all around the world, so to know that they have been so impressed and happy during their stays with us has been incredibly rewarding.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been open for over four years now and have grown the B&B from scratch, though the building itself was a pub - The Bush Inn - until the late 1960s.
“To have been deemed top ten per cent in the world is such a lovely recognition, but to have achieved the Traveller’s Choice award is the icing on the cake.
- 1 Farmers hope to open egg shop in football club car park
- 2 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 3 Watch: 91-year-old woman's stirring poem 'Wake Up Britain'
- 4 Your Say - What are Dereham's favourite shops?
- 5 Fire door company hiring more staff despite pandemic
- 6 Covid testing bus arrives at Dereham supermarket
- 7 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 8 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 9 New home and 'collective purpose' for men's shed
- 10 Barman suffered fractured eye socket after being punched on night out
“We have really appreciated our hundreds of guests taking the time to review us and support us. This year has not been without its challenges so far, but we are thrilled to be open, busy and able to celebrate.”
Forge House Yaxham is an old Victorian pub which was converted into a house around 50 years ago. Plenty of period features still remain, including the original Morgan’s brewery lamp and beer cellar hatch. It is also located right next to Yaxham Station on the heritage railway, the Mid Norfolk Railway.
“Last year we were inspected by Visit England and awarded four star silver status, with a breakfast award which we were thrilled with.
“Dan has been a head chef for nearly 20 years in central London before returning to his childhood home of Yaxham with me - we met in London six years ago and married in Norfolk three years ago.
“After leaving our busy careers in London to return to Norfolk life, we have loved turning our home into a cosy B&B for our guests to enjoy.”