Former Breckland chief slammed in report
Rob GarrattA former Breckland council chief has come under fire in a government inspection of a crisis-stricken authority elsewhere in the country.Tim Leader, who was deputy chief executive of Breckland Council until last year, has been singled out in a report by the Audit Commission examining 'systematic failings' at Doncaster Council.Rob Garratt
A former Breckland council chief has come under fire in a government inspection of a crisis-stricken authority elsewhere in the country.
Tim Leader, who was deputy chief executive of Breckland Council until last year, has been singled out in a report by the Audit Commission examining 'systematic failings' at Doncaster Council.
The midlands authority fell into the public spotlight after a series of incidents, including a brutal attack on two young boys in Edlington.
Mr Leader joined Doncaster Council in September last year as director of resources and monitoring officer, before taking on the role of interim chief executive in January, which he resigned from at the beginning of this month with a pay off of nearly �69,000.
The Audit Commission report claims as monitoring officer Mr Leader was directly involved in his own selection as interim chief executive.
It reads: 'The former interim chief executive failed to behave in a way that lives up to the required standards of behaviour. 'He undermined perceptions of the role of chief executive as an impartial servant of the mayor and the council.
- 1 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 2 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 3 Households report supply issues and buses diverted due to burst water main
- 4 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 5 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
- 6 A47 reopens after man seriously injured in crash following police chase
- 7 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 8 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 9 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 10 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
'He did not have the full confidence of all of his chief officer colleagues.
'The evidence we have received makes it clear that Mr Leader continued to advise the council on the process it should follow to appoint an interim chief executive even after it became clear that he was a leading candidate for that position.'