Former Norwich GP and Mattishall stalwart dies aged 80
A former Norwich GP and a community stalwart in Mattishall has died at the age of 80 after a life of caring for others. John Humphreys moved to Norfolk 40 years ago and in that time worked at surgeries in Norwich and took part in full in village life in Mattishall.
A former Norwich GP and a community stalwart in Mattishall has died at the age of 80 after a life of caring for others.
John Humphreys moved to Norfolk 40 years ago and in that time worked at surgeries in Norwich and took part in full in village life in Mattishall.
He was one of the leaders of the Great Mattishall Gant Fair and a key member of the group working to get the old primary school converted into a community centre.
Before moving to Norfolk he worked across the world as a colonial medical officer after a period in the merchant navy.
You may also want to watch:
His wife, Alison, said: 'He was kind and generous a good man. He always thought of other people first.
'He used to be on call three nights per week and at the weekend and he always used to go out to patients otherwise he would worry about them.'
- 1 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 2 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 3 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 4 Husband donates £1m to cancer research so 'no one else goes through same pain'
- 5 Former army officer resigns as councillor for 'personal reasons'
- 6 Coffee morning raises more than £2,000 for charity
- 7 'Bring it on' - New chief executive appointed to district council
- 8 Students and staff come together for celebration of high school's history
- 9 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 10 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
He recently celebrated his 80th birthday at the Canton Chinese restaurant in Dereham. He died in his sleep on Thursday, October 15.
To read more about Mr Humphreys see Thursday's Dereham Times.
A funeral will take place on November 4 at 11am at Christ Church, Eaton, Norwich, where he worshipped for 40 years.
Family flowers only, donations to Medecins Sans Frontieres.