Who is George Freeman supporting in the Tory leadership contest?
- Credit: Richard Townshend Photography
George Freeman has said he is backing Penny Mordaunt to be the next prime minister.
The MP for Mid Norfolk revealed his chosen candidate as he shared Miss Mordaunt's campaign video on Twitter.
He wrote: "Our leadership has to change.
"Our country needs a leader committed to become 'a little less about the leader and a lot more about the ship'.
"This video captures exactly why I'm backing Penny Mordaunt."
In a subsequent post on social media, he added: "This country and party urgently needs a leader for unity, prosperity and security.
"The standout candidate is Penny Mordaunt, a woman for whom the values, standards and traditions of an outward-looking, confident, modern, progressive United Kingdom are in her DNA."
- 1 'Gunshot' manhole cover repaired
- 2 £200m A47 dualling work to start next year after government grants go-ahead
- 3 'He's an amazing person' - David's cancer battle inspires fundraising
- 4 Couple fined after string of thefts at Tesco and Sainsbury’s stores
- 5 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 6 Fun day with match featuring Norwich City legends postponed due to heat
- 7 Dereham coach firm closes after more than 50 years in business
- 8 Delays ease on A47 near Dereham after four-vehicle crash
- 9 Meet the triathlete teen with Olympic dreams
- 10 Canaries legends to feature in match for brave four-year-old Kayla
Miss Mordaunt, who currently serves as international trade minister, has emerged as favourite in the Tory leadership race ahead of former chancellor Rishi Sunak.
Mr Freeman's Norfolk neighbour, Liz Truss, the MP for South West Norfolk, is also a contender.