TV show shines a spotlight on ‘Gig Buddies’ volunteering scheme
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich scheme aimed at matching up music fans with learning difficulties with like-minded volunteers has been highlighted on a BBC TV show, with a Dereham woman and her 'Gig Buddy' featured as one of the first to be paired up.
Ruth Cordle, 27, already has a busy life, helping out at the Mid-Norfolk Foodbank, taking part in activities run by Independence Matters, Dereham, and attending Dereham and District Gateway Club, which provides social activities for adults with learning difficulties.
A keen film and football fan, she also regularly attends Norwich City games and volunteers at the YMCA Stepping Stones Cafe in Norwich, which offers work opportunities to adults living in supported housing.
Keen to attend more music and theatre events, she signed up for a scheme launched in Norwich by learning disability charity Mencap a few weeks ago.
Entitled Gig Buddies, the country-wide project aims to match up music-lovers with trained volunteers, who accompanying them to shows, live music performances and other evening events.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Cordle's first meeting with her Gig Buddy Meg was filmed by a crew from the BBC Two current affairs programme Inside Out East, with the team following the pair as they went on their first outing to see the musical Club Tropicana at the Theatre Royal, Norwich, before going backstage to meet the cast.
Ms Cordle was also filmed cooking with her mum Nicola and serving customers at the Stepping Stones Café.
- 1 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 2 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 3 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 4 Organiser humbled as 210 strong Land Rover convoy raises over £3,000
- 5 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
- 6 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 7 'The company was becoming the story' - Under fire care home firm to sell up
- 8 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 9 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 10 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
Mrs Cordle, who lives at Mattishall, said her daughter, who last year signed up as an extra in a Danny Boyle romantic comedy filmed in Norfolk, had jumped at the chance of being on TV.
'Ruth absolutely loved it and now has her heart set on being a film star,' she said. 'She gave her outing with Meg ten out of ten and will be missing her regular club to watch herself on the show.'
Gig Buddies need to commit to half a day's training and meet up with their buddy twice a month for a year. To find out more about the scheme, or to sign up as a volunteer, visit www.mencap.org.uk
Inside Out East, featuring the Norwich branch of the Gig Buddy scheme, will be screened on BBC2 at 7.30pm tonight, March 4.