Goal posts go up
Dereham Town Council is right on target with its new goalposts which are going up on open spaces in the town.Dereham mayor Lynda Turner said: “ It's great to be able to do something positive for children.
Dereham Town Council is right on target with its new goalposts which are going up on open spaces in the town.
Dereham mayor Lynda Turner said: “ It's great to be able to do something positive for children.
“Play can have so many benefits for children and the wider community. Not only is play good for the soul it also improves fitness and general health as well as providing positive activities which divert children away from anti-social activities.
“I would like to thank Breckland Council for its co- operation in making this happen.”
The town council will be taking over ownership of open spaces and play areas, at present owned by Breckland, later in the year but wanted to make sure that there was some additional equipment for children to play with over the summer.
This was also the view of Breckland Council which gave the go-ahead for the goals to be installed before the land was officially transferred.
- 1 Man injured teen with catapult after supermarket row
- 2 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 3 Volunteer exodus puts future of beloved windmill under threat
- 4 Huge solar farm proposed near Roman site
- 5 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 6 Town centre set to welcome vegan street food truck
- 7 Decision over funding for Queen Mother's Garden revamp delayed
- 8 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 9 Father accused of baby murder blamed car seat for bruise
- 10 Revealed: The 20 areas of Norfolk 'regularly at risk of flooding'
Mrs Turner said: “The town council will be taking responsibility for play areas seriously and our long-term goal is to have play areas and open spaces which meet the needs of the people of Dereham.”
The goalposts are made in Suffolk and have a reputation for quality.
One of the key features of the goals is that they can be moved as the grass becomes worn out.
A total of six new posts will be installed over the next couple of weeks.
They will be located at: Hillcrest Avenue, Moorgate playing field, Sandy Lane, Dereham Recreation Ground and Toftwood Village Hall.
Breckland Council will be replacing the existing goalpost at Girling Road.