Hall bids to double concert capacity
One of Norfolk largest stately homes has applied for permission to double the number of people it can cater for at concerts. The Holkham Estate, home to Viscount Coke, the Earl of Leicester, currently holds a licence to hold events for up to 10,000 people.
One of Norfolk largest stately homes has applied for permission to double the number of people it can cater for at concerts.
The Holkham Estate, home to Viscount Coke, the Earl of Leicester, currently holds a licence to hold events for up to 10,000 people.
But now it has asked North Norfolk Council to extend the limit to 19,999, just under a 20,000 limit which
would take it into another type of licence.
You may also want to watch:
It comes as the estate plans for an upcoming Elton John concert, planned for June 14, for which 16,000 are currently on sale.
Mike Wyard, finance director for the estate, said: 'It has always been our intention to apply for a licence extension, as Holkham has steadily been growing as a concert and event venue over the past few years.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 6 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 7 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 8 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 9 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 10 Fire crews battling large house blaze
'The strong ticket sales for the Elton John concert have reinforced our need to gain extra capacity for this summer.'
It is expected the estate will learn if it can extend its capacity by the end of this month.
A statement from the estate said that it had always planned to
apply for the licence extension
from 10,000 to 19,999 and that considerable work had gone into the application.
The estate holds events including Holkham Country Fair which attracts some 60,000 visitors over two days.