Search

Homes plan gets go-ahead

PUBLISHED: 13:51 06 February 2008 | UPDATED: 14:27 07 July 2010

Work is due to start within two months on knocking down one of Dereham's best known former factories and building more than 100 new houses after councillors gave the scheme the all-clear.

Work is due to start within two months on knocking down one of Dereham's best known former factories and building more than 100 new houses after councillors gave the scheme the all-clear.

For decades, Metamec produced tens of thousands of clocks from its base at Moorgate and they were sold around the world.

After the company shut down in Dereham, the factory was turned into small business units and the firms currently in there have been given until the end of March to move out.

On Monday Norfolk Homes was given full permission by Breckland councillors to clear the site and build 108 homes, including 32 affordable properties.

Homes will range from one bedroom flats to four bedroom houses.

After the meeting, Norfolk Homes' development manager Terry Harper said the company planned to start work on the scheme on April 1.

Breckland principal planning officer Nick Moys said there would be a mix of house types in the new development, including a “distinctive” building at the entrance to the site.

He said there would be some Georgian style features on some of the homes and concerns from police about security in parking areas had been overcome.

The scheme will include an area of open space and the development will link to existing footpaths and cycleways.

Councillor Mark Kiddle-Morris was concerned about “three race tracks and a figure of eight” in the design of the roads.

But Mr Moys said there would be 20mph speed limits and the roads would be designed to limit speeds.

Meanwhile, fresh plans have been submitted to Breckland to build 16 flats and a bungalow on land next to Moorgate House, which is alongside the former Metamec factory.

Mick Gore, of Thuxton, previously got permission for five houses and a plant machinery hire business on the site.

The new plans would be for one and two bedroom starter homes and a three bedroom bungalow.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dereham Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Dereham Times