Investigation over swimming pool death
An investigation is under way after a 48-year-old Norfolk woman died following an incident in a public swimming pool.The woman, thought to be from the Dereham area, had been swimming at Dereham Leisure Centre just after 7pm on Wednesday, September 16 when it is believed she may have suffered a heart attack.
An investigation is under way after a 48-year-old Norfolk woman died following an incident in a public swimming pool.
The woman, thought to be from the Dereham area, had been swimming at Dereham Leisure Centre just after 7pm on Wednesday, September 16 when it is believed she may have suffered a heart attack.
Breckland Leisure, which runs the centre in partnership with Breckland Council and Parkwood Leisure, said: 'It appears the lady may have had a heart attack while swimming but we do not know for sure.
'The lifeguards on duty quickly pulled the lady to the side and they commenced CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation). Paramedics arrived and took the lady to hospital.'
You may also want to watch:
It is understood the woman was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital where she later died in intensive care.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: 'The ambulance crew were impressed with the actions of the pool staff who made good efforts to aid resuscitation, but they are very sorry to hear that the lady has since died.'
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 5 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 6 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 7 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 8 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 9 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 10 Revisit the industrial heritage in the heart of Norfolk
The Breckland Leisure spokesman said the centre's staff wanted to express their condolences to the family of the woman and that an internal investigation at the centre is now under way.
The pool was closed following the incident but reopened as normal the following day.
In July this year 65-year-old Beryl Hunt, from Etling Green, was saved by lifeguards at Dereham Leisure Centre after she lost consciousness while swimming.