Kinder Surprise! Police find thousands of pounds worth of heroin in Kinder Egg
- Credit: Archant
Police in Dereham found thousands of pounds worth of heroin in a Kinder Egg.
Officers made the discovery during the raid of a flat in The Maltings in the town last week.
A man in his 40s and a woman in her late 30s were arrested.
They have been questioned and released under investigation while police continue with their inquiries. Charges and court action could follow.
Last Tuesday's police action was one of a number of raids being carried out in the town as part of a major crackdown on drugs Dereham.
Officers are working to tackle drug gangs who have been targeting Dereham and other market towns.
Jon Papworth, police inspector for Dereham, Watton and Swaffham, said: 'It is an ongoing issue and it is positive news that we have been able to make more arrests.
- 1 A47 reopens after it was closed for six hours due to crash
- 2 'You've got to diversify' - cafe and gallery owner braves expansion
- 3 A trip to the fair helps Norfolk man remember
- 4 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 8 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 9 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
- 10 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
'We have carried out several raids in recent months and will continue to do so.
'A drug problem in a town can easily spiral out of control and it also leads to other crimes.
'We are working with housing associations, who have been very good at sending out warnings and getting people evicted, where necessary, as drug dealers do not make pleasant neighbours for people.
'We are lucky too in Dereham that we have a good rapport with the public, who come forward with information.
'Everyone has a role to play in the fight against drugs.'
Drug gangs have been targeting Dereham and other market towns as they look for new gaps in the market following high profile arrests in other areas.
Operation Gravity has seen more than 100 suspected drug dealers in Norwich, London, Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn arrested as part of a drive to rid the county of heroin and cocaine, as well as arrests in the capital.
In many cases teenagers are hooked on drugs, run up debts with gangs and are coerced into selling Class A drugs on Norfolk's streets.
Anyone aware of illegal drug activity in their community should contact Norfolk police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously on 0800 555111.
Do you think Dereham has a serious drugs problem? E mail firstname.lastname@example.org