Kiwi John appointed new head
A Dereham secondary school has looked to the other side of the world in its search for a new head teacher.Northgate High School has appointed Alex Reed, currently deputy headmaster at Westlake Boys High School in Auckland, New Zealand.
A Dereham secondary school has looked to the other side of the world in its search for a new head teacher.
Northgate High School has appointed Alex Reed, currently deputy headmaster at Westlake Boys High School in Auckland, New Zealand.
He will take up his new appointment on April 1, 2010. The previous head John Smith left in August and the school is currently run under the leadership of acting head Sue Wheeler.
In a letter to parents Alan Jones, chair of governors, said Mr Reed was the outstanding candidate.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'We had a very strong field of candidates who were put through a demanding two-day selection process which included written tasks, presentations, meetings with pupils and staff, an assembly and several focussed interview sessions with a selection committee of governors.
'Mr Reed proved himself to be an experienced and passionate educator who has the leadership skills to build on Northgate's many strengths and to further improve the quality of teaching and learning available at the school.'
- 1 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 2 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 3 'I will not resign,' says councillor who broke Covid isolation
- 4 Council says it's in public interest to keep golf resort details secret
- 5 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 6 Analysis: Is lockdown finally working in Norfolk?
- 7 Seven lockdown rules that could change
- 8 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 9 Tributes paid to retired long-term foster carer who 'loved to laugh'
- 10 Ofsted visits Norfolk school to see how it copes with Covid
Mr Reed has an honours degree in English from Cambridge University and a PGCE from the University of Sheffield. He passed the National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH) in 2006.
He started his teaching career at schools in Bristol before being appointed assistant headteacher at a community sports college in Derby and then deputy headteacher at Greenford High School and Language College in London.
In 2007 he moved to New Zealand and to his current post at one of that country's top state secondary schools.
Mr Reed said: 'I feel privileged and humbled to have the opportunity to lead a wonderful school like Northgate. My family and I are very excited that we will be moving to Dereham, and I look forward to getting to know the students, parents and staff of the school in the coming years.'