Kiwi John appointed new head
A Dereham secondary school has looked to the other side of the world in its search for a new head teacher.Northgate High School has appointed Alex Reed, currently deputy headmaster at Westlake Boys High School in Auckland, New Zealand.
A Dereham secondary school has looked to the other side of the world in its search for a new head teacher.
Northgate High School has appointed Alex Reed, currently deputy headmaster at Westlake Boys High School in Auckland, New Zealand.
He will take up his new appointment on April 1, 2010. The previous head John Smith left in August and the school is currently run under the leadership of acting head Sue Wheeler.
In a letter to parents Alan Jones, chair of governors, said Mr Reed was the outstanding candidate.
He said: 'We had a very strong field of candidates who were put through a demanding two-day selection process which included written tasks, presentations, meetings with pupils and staff, an assembly and several focussed interview sessions with a selection committee of governors.
'Mr Reed proved himself to be an experienced and passionate educator who has the leadership skills to build on Northgate's many strengths and to further improve the quality of teaching and learning available at the school.'
- 1 Man injured teen with catapult after supermarket row
- 2 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 3 Volunteer exodus puts future of beloved windmill under threat
- 4 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 5 Huge solar farm proposed near Roman site
- 6 Town centre set to welcome vegan street food truck
- 7 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 8 Decision over funding for Queen Mother's Garden revamp delayed
- 9 Father accused of baby murder blamed car seat for bruise
- 10 Revealed: The 20 areas of Norfolk 'regularly at risk of flooding'
Mr Reed has an honours degree in English from Cambridge University and a PGCE from the University of Sheffield. He passed the National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH) in 2006.
He started his teaching career at schools in Bristol before being appointed assistant headteacher at a community sports college in Derby and then deputy headteacher at Greenford High School and Language College in London.
In 2007 he moved to New Zealand and to his current post at one of that country's top state secondary schools.
Mr Reed said: 'I feel privileged and humbled to have the opportunity to lead a wonderful school like Northgate. My family and I are very excited that we will be moving to Dereham, and I look forward to getting to know the students, parents and staff of the school in the coming years.'