Norfolk mum on why people shouldn’t judge when she’s out with her terminally ill four-year-old son
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk mother Kyra Welch writes about her experiences with her terminally ill four-year-old son Kaiden Griffin. Kaiden, who grew up in North Creake, near Fakenham, and now lives in Holt, has a Congenital Heart Defect.
Dear judgemental people,
My son has an invisible illness. Please don't stare or comment when you see me pushing my soon to be 5 year old round in his pushchair. Yes he should be walking or running around but he can't. He can't even walk 100 meters without struggling to breath.
Please don't stare or comment when it's boiling hot and my sons still in a jumper, or when it's rather cold and he's in a light long sleeved top. He can't regulate his temperature so it's therefore up to me to make sure he's the right temperature, he can over heat or be next to freezing, the weather doesn't mean a thing for him.
Please don't stare or comment when another child coughs and then comes near my child but I move him away, I'm not judging your child or thinking they aren't good enough for my son to play with, I'm moving him away because the slightest of coughs, colds, infections can mean endless hospital stays and trips for us.
Please don't stare or comment when we are eating out and it's time for him to have his medicines, no I'm not drugging my child by putting a syringe in his mouth I'm helping prolong his life, his medication is vital with his condition. I don't do it for the fun of it.
Please don't stare or comment when I buy him yet another toy, he is spoilt but if you didn't know how long you had left with your child wouldn't you do the same? You wouldn't know because you don't have to think about that.
- 1 Tributes to 'brilliant role model' who worked tirelessly for his cricket club
- 2 'Not a lot of spending' - Dereham traders report footfall decline
- 3 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 4 Can you spot yourself in our pictures from Reepham Festival?
- 5 Fascinating photos of Norfolk village spanning 100 years to go on display
- 6 The secret gardens you can visit in Norfolk this September
- 7 Police enquiries 'ongoing' after stabbing of teenager at skate park
- 8 Joe Wicks 'thrilled' by Norfolk woman's gift which led to 500 messages
- 9 Stars of West End to perform at Dereham church
- 10 The Norfolk festival where under 13s get in for free
So please stop judging me on the cover of my story that you see. Unless you have read the book I'm living and know everything about me and what I'm going through please stop judging me on what you see.