Town to co-opt councillors after just one voter asks for by-election
- Credit: Dereham Town Council Youtube channel
Dereham will co-opt two new members to its town council, following the resignations of Alan and Kay Grey - and the request of just one voter for a by-election to be held.
Mr and Mrs Grey resigned in January, saying they felt uncomfortable expressing their views on the council.
This triggered a period of 14 working days during which voters in their vacant seats of Dereham Neatherd and Dereham Central West could request that by-elections be called.
For a by-election to be called, a minimum of 10 people is required in each seat.
However, an electoral services officer at Breckland District Council said just one letter had been received from a voter in Neatherd, and no letters had been received from Central West.
The council will therefore seek to co-opt members to fill the vacancies.
You may also want to watch:
Town clerk Tony Needham said the council was provisionally looking to do this at their March full council meeting and those interested in putting themselves forward should get in touch.
Dereham Town Council can be contacted on 01362 693821 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 'Vindictive' man torched couple's new home - after failing to buy it
- 2 Teenage girl seriously sexually assaulted near rail track
- 3 Teenager's attempt to take corner at 101mph caused death of keen cricketer
- 4 Mum describes how 'amazing' army of medics saved her new baby
- 5 Wetherspoon to reopen beer gardens and patios
- 6 'Not in a religious village!' - Residents' shock at drug squad swoop
- 7 People urged to get Covid test twice a week
- 8 No recent virus cases in more than a quarter of Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 Family of missing man informed after body found in water
- 10 Council won't be investigated over handling of legal agreement