Norfolk businesswomen save ‘vital’ local shop Lyng Stores from closure
- Credit: Archant
A village shop in the heart of rural Norfolk has been saved from closure by a pair of budding entrepreneurs.
When Lyng mothers Jenna Youngs and Georgie Rant learned their local shop, Lyng Stores, was facing closure they stepped in and took over the two decades old business.
Renovations to the shop's premises, on The Common, including a new car park, were completed in May. and Lyng Stores was reopened on Wednesday, May 23, offering a range of everyday essentials as well as a new tearoom.
Co-owner Jenna Youngs said: 'Neither of us have ever done anything like this, but we believed it was something we could make a go of.
'We feel our shop staying open is vital for the rural community, as it's so common now for many places to lose pubs, bus services, and post offices.
'We didn't want this important service in our community to be lost, especially for the elderly and isolated people.
'It's green too because local people won't need to use their cars to get us, if they can walk or cycle instead.'
- 1 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 2 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 3 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 4 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 5 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 6 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 7 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 8 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 9 Annual service to be held in memory of Norfolk war hero
- 10 7 food and drink themed trains you can ride in Norfolk this summer
And Georgie Rant added: 'Travelling miles to buy everyday essentials from large supermarkets can be a bit soul destroying.'
They are also fundraising for a village defibrillator by the raffle of a picnic hamper and selling dog bandanas.
Call Lyng Stores on 01603 920101 or email LyngStores@email.com for more details.