Marine Ben was shot in the neck
Norfolk Royal Marine Ben Whatley, killed in Afghanistan on Christmas Eve, died from a gunshot wound to the neck.L/Cpl Whatley, 20, whose family home was at Tittleshall, was shot during a fierce battle to clear enemy forces in Helmand Province.
Norfolk Royal Marine Ben Whatley, killed in Afghanistan on Christmas Eve, died from a gunshot wound to the neck.
L/Cpl Whatley, 20, whose family home was at Tittleshall, was shot during a fierce battle to clear enemy forces in Helmand Province.
The funeral service will take place at St Mary's Church in East Raynham tomorrow at midday and a private cremation will follow.
His family are asking for donations rather than flowers, to go to Help the Heroes, a charity which helps serviceman and women who have been injured in Britain's current conflicts.
You may also want to watch:
L/Cpl Whatley's body was taken on repatriation to RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire and a post mortem was carried out at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.
The cause of death was revealed when Wiltshire and Swindon coroner David Masters opened the inquest on Monday last week.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 4 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 5 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 8 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 9 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 10 Music to our ears: Saxophone donated to charity shop valued at £1,000
Mr Masters transferred jurisdiction of the inquest to Greater Norfolk coroner William Armstrong but the full inquest will not be held for another eight to 10 months because of the information needed and availability of crucial witnesses.
Donations may be given at the service or sent care of Fakenham and District Funeral Services, Weasenham Manor, Fakenham Road, Weasenham St Peter, PE32 2TF.