Mayor donates allowance money to charities
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of Dereham has made donations to two charities after she came in under budget on her allocated civic events allowance.
In her role as Mayor, Hilary Bushell receives an allowance to cover numerous events but in the past year she did not use all of the money and she has now donated what was remaining to her chosen charities.
One cheque for £250 was given to the mental health charity Mind and another of the same amount was given to the disability charity Sense.
Mrs Bushell said she was 'delighted' to donate the money and the funds given to Sense will go towards the support centre in Toftwood.
She added that Mind had expressed their gratitude and have been pleased to have been chosen as the mayor's charity of the year as it has helped to raise the profile of the organisation.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Bushell also receives an expenses allowance but this is paid based on submitted receipts.
- 1 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 2 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 3 Woman hurt as A47 crash leaves car in ditch
- 4 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 5 Family's anger after woman, 82, faced being 'marooned' by floodwater
- 6 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 7 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 8 Former Hollywood Cinema boss becomes award-winning carer
- 9 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 10 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney