Mayor donates allowance money to charities
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of Dereham has made donations to two charities after she came in under budget on her allocated civic events allowance.
In her role as Mayor, Hilary Bushell receives an allowance to cover numerous events but in the past year she did not use all of the money and she has now donated what was remaining to her chosen charities.
One cheque for £250 was given to the mental health charity Mind and another of the same amount was given to the disability charity Sense.
Mrs Bushell said she was 'delighted' to donate the money and the funds given to Sense will go towards the support centre in Toftwood.
She added that Mind had expressed their gratitude and have been pleased to have been chosen as the mayor's charity of the year as it has helped to raise the profile of the organisation.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Bushell also receives an expenses allowance but this is paid based on submitted receipts.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 3 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 4 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 5 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 6 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 7 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 8 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
- 9 'Appalling' online abuse targeted at MPs
- 10 Amazing drone footage shows Flying Scotsman travelling through Norfolk